Do modern MOBOs have ATA IDE as well as SATA?

Caporegime
I currently have 2 x 120Gb WD Caviar ATA drives on two IDE channels. When I upgrade (in the near future) I plan to have two 150Gb Raptors in RAID 0 for system and games, and use these other two for data storage of My Documents backup, MP3s, videos etc.

Will I be able to do this or do modern mobos not allow for ATA IDE HDDs?

Soldato
I've seen a few Intel boards with only 1 IDE. But I doubt they'll phase out IDE connectors anytime soon. Hell, FD connectors are still there...

Soldato
sr4470 said:
I've seen a few Intel boards with only 1 IDE. But I doubt they'll phase out IDE connectors anytime soon.
I believe that Intel want to in the next round of chipsets ...

nForce5 only has 1 IDE channel as well.

Soldato
We havent had a prebuilt PC in in the last year that wasnt using SATA for the HDD. Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Toshiba, all using SATA now in systems they build.

Caporegime
OP
masterk said:
They are so cheap now there is no reason to use IDE anymore.

No reason at all? Are you sure? :rolleyes: Think about what you say.

What about those that have large IDE drives and cannot currently afford to get the equivalent sized SATA drives. I would and can except I like my IDE drives and for storage they don't need to be any faster than ATA.

Soldato
hold up, robbie G you need to think about it. He's right there is no need to use it anymore. Sata drives are pence more expensive than their ata counterparts, making the chocie for a new drive a no-brainer. if you have ide drives that you still want to use then the channels are there. By the time they do away with IDE completely, there wont be many ide drives left.

Back
Top Bottom