DFI Expert Ram Problems

Soldato
Hi,i have just installed my Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (2 x 1GB sticks)in my Expert mobo and running at 3.2.2.8(In the orange slots)Now in my previous motherboards Asus A8N32-SLI & SLI-DR it would run 2.2.2.5 if i even change it to 2-5.2.2.5 it wont boot?
Just wondered if anybody knows what is wrong :confused:

I'm trying to run the timings tight as i just up my multiplier to overclock.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Hi,have already done that should have said in my first post.I set them to PC4000 speeds 400mhz & the correct timings and they have been fine for 24 hours.

Soldato
Amidar said:
Hi,have already done that should have said in my first post.I set them to PC4000 speeds 400mhz & the correct timings and they have been fine for 24 hours.
PC4000 speed is 250Mhz, not 200Mhz.

What BIOS are you using, on my DFI I couldn't get anywhere stability wise until I updated the BIOS.

Soldato
OP
Sorry i mean they where running at 250mhz not 200mhz during memtest.Will see what bio's version i am on & flash to the latest if a newer one is available.

Soldato
i don't understand why ram works better in certain slots on these dfi boards. what if you wanted to run 4 gig like me? the dfi board may not be able to handle it if its got problems using certain ram slots. they should have just made a 2 slot board.

Soldato
Do you get errors in Memtest86+ and in what test(s)?

I needed to run my Ballistix with active cooling as my sticks were roasting and causing instability because of it.

[edit]I think I read in some reviews that the PC4000 sticks were different than the PC3200 sticks in the fact that some had trouble running 2-2-2-5 200Mhz and only really worked well at 3-4-4-8 250Mhz [/edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
i don't understand why ram works better in certain slots on these dfi boards. what if you wanted to run 4 gig like me? the dfi board may not be able to handle it if its got problems using certain ram slots. they should have just made a 2 slot board.

It works better in the orange slots because the yellow ones are optimized for ram that needs a high vdimm, ie BH5. You can run 4gig of ram, but it will have to be at 2t not 1t. This has not got anything to do with the mobo, it's a limitation of the mem controller on the cpu. Setting the ram up to run sweet on a DFI requires a bit more than just setting 2.5-2-5-2. Take a look here and have a good read of the overclocking stickies.

Soldato
kitfit1 said:
No i don't mean that at all. It's just when you have the jumpers set for a higher vdimm, it works better in the yellow slots.

hang on now im confused, so if you had 4 sticks of ram would they not work properly in this board since all the slots don't seem to behave the same according to your earlier post?

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:
hang on now im confused, so if you had 4 sticks of ram would they not work properly in this board since all the slots don't seem to behave the same according to your earlier post?

No what he's saying is that yellow is generally better for bh5 and orange for tccd. Both put out the same voltage which you set in the bios. Most people, especially those with dfi run only 2 sticks for overclocking an so having this extra compatibility helps. If you run 4 sticks you will need to run 2t and the board will still do this

Soldato
ted34 said:
No what he's saying is that yellow is generally better for bh5 and orange for tccd. Both put out the same voltage which you set in the bios. Most people, especially those with dfi run only 2 sticks for overclocking an so having this extra compatibility helps. If you run 4 sticks you will need to run 2t and the board will still do this

Yes that is exactly what i mean. The DFI NF4's were designed for overclocking, so all sorts of ram were catered for. If you want a mobo to run 4 sticks of ram they will still do that as well, but timmings will have to be slackened the same as on every other mobo.

Back
Top Bottom