New 20 or 21 Widescreen Wanted!! HELP

Man of Honour
s96024 said:
Nice one Badass. Can you explain DFC a little please?

sure, no worries:

Digital Fine Contrast (DFC)

It is supposed to help colours look more vivid and bright, text look sharper and enhance the extremes ends of the colour scale, making blacks deeper and whites brighter. This is a great benefit to gamers who have issues seeing enemies lurking in the shadows and for photo / cinema users who want to improve colour quality. This technology is called the Digital Fine Contrast engine (DFC) and consists of 3 elements:

* Auto Contents Recognition (ACR) - detects the type of content being viewed and decides how to use the contrast adjustment engine to make the most of it. This is dependent on the mode selection in the monitor's OSD, choosing between settings like 'Movie', 'Text', 'Games' etc. For example, in 'Movie' mode, the DFC is enhanced for a maximum brightness and in 'Picture' mode colours are deepened.

* Digital Contrast Enhancer (DCE) - which reduces black luminance.

* Digital Contrast Mapper (DCM) - Displays the image while ensuring that the enhanced contrast is optimised.

The DFC is based on an automatic contrast booster controlled to the Look Up Table (LUT) which is reported to alter the gamma of the pixels, darkening dark areas and increasing brightness of the brighter areas. The CCFL backlight tubes have also been replaced by a new generation which is capable of a wider gamut.

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
hi baddass

thanks for getting back to us, seems to be the daddy of 20 widescreen tft and the asking price is nearly on par with screens that support 1600/1200.

comparing this to the philips 2006ws feature wise and build wise, what would you say?

and have you seen this monitor for your self?

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
@ s96024

thanks for your link and input for this, are you thinking of getting one as well, any actual pics of the monitor, im searching as i,m typing this

:)

Man of Honour
ATI said:
hi baddass

thanks for getting back to us, seems to be the daddy of 20 widescreen tft and the asking price is nearly on par with screens that support 1600/1200.

comparing this to the philips 2006ws feature wise and build wise, what would you say?

and have you seen this monitor for your self?

not seen it in action myself yet, but have read a lot about it and heard some very positive first hand accounts. OcUK very own igors wrote a very in depth review of it for TFT Central not long ago too :) The Philips is also a good screen receiving a lot of positive feedback. However, there haven't been any major reviews of it yet, so it's a little hard to compare. The NEC is well established and a great screen though :)

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
not seen it in action myself yet, but have read a lot about it and heard some very positive first hand accounts. OcUK very own igors wrote a very in depth review of it for TFT Central not long ago too :) The Philips is also a good screen receiving a lot of positive feedback. However, there haven't been any major reviews of it yet, so it's a little hard to compare. The NEC is well established and a great screen though :)

thanks for that baddass

any actual; pics anywhere i,m looking through the threads still

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
@Baddass

also i forgot to mention wahts this about updated parts version, would you please fill me in on everything on this monitor pls :)

and how could you tell and i take it ocuk have them?

Man of Honour
right i'm with you. Some people have had some models with suspect build quality, but i'm not sure if there's a second version as such, just that people have returned it to NEC who have acknowledged the problems and replaced the unti

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
right i'm with you. Some people have had some models with suspect build quality, but i'm not sure if there's a second version as such, just that people have returned it to NEC who have acknowledged the problems and replaced the unti

hi baddass

in terms of overall secreen performance, would you rate the nec more if so why as i,m not but dont they use the same panel.

thanks

Man of Honour
The NEC LCD20WGX2 and Philips 200W6CS use different panels. They are both based on IPS panel technology, but the NEC is using the new generation of AS-IPS panel, whereas the Philips is just using an updated S-IPS panel which was widely used before it (the old 16ms edition used in models like the Dell 2005FPW for example). They have similar characterisitcs, but the NEC offers some very good responsiveness comparable to that of even the fastst TN Film models around (like the VX922 for instance). Add the DFC technology onto this and you have some impressive performance. The Philips is good, and like i said, we haven't seen many reviews of it yet. However, I think the NEC has the edge with it's new gen of AS-IPS panel

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
The NEC LCD20WGX2 and Philips 200W6CS use different panels. They are both based on IPS panel technology, but the NEC is using the new generation of AS-IPS panel, whereas the Philips is just using an updated S-IPS panel which was widely used before it (the old 16ms edition used in models like the Dell 2005FPW for example). They have similar characterisitcs, but the NEC offers some very good responsiveness comparable to that of even the fastst TN Film models around (like the VX922 for instance). Add the DFC technology onto this and you have some impressive performance. The Philips is good, and like i said, we haven't seen many reviews of it yet. However, I think the NEC has the edge with it's new gen of AS-IPS panel

hi baddass

thanks for your help , i,m still looking into this tft, it seems to tick all the boxes:

no wonder does it come with dvi cable

ATI

ATI

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
take a look at this article which helps explain it :)

afaik, it does. Double check with the shop before ordering to be double sure

hi baddass

thanks for your feedback again, can you tell if i need to do anything for this monitor once its out of the box, to see i didnt get one of the defected once.

i,m reading igor's thread and he has 0-dead pixel and 0 light bleeding.

please advice

thanks

Back
Top Bottom