• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron CPU Single Channel ???

Associate
I have an Opteron 146 939 pin on an ASUS A8V with 2 x 512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200, one of which I suspected had just failed (loads of reboots, BSOD's etc, machine has never been anything but 100% stable for 6 months) Started up with MEMTEST86X (something like that) and sure enough 1000's of instant errors. Now I thought I was stuck as I believed I needed two RAM sticks to even boot up being dual channel but took one out and tried anyway - still 1000's of errors on memtest, swapped out to the other single stick and no memory errors, so rebooted and everything is working fine ?? How is it working on one stick of ram ? I thought only the old 754 A64's could use a single stick ? Does this sound right ?

Thanks

Associate
I will work fine with 1 stick but just in single channel not dual. The old 754 cpu's only used single channel but even then you could use more than 1 stick. You can have 2 sticks in single channel it just depends on which sockets on your board you use.

Associate
OP
OK, thanks, I didn't realise that what with all the matched dual channel memory kits etc, thought it was a pair or nothing. I'll give Crucial a call tomorrow and RMA it.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom