• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking For A Better AGP Card

Soldato
I currently have a 256mb ATI X700 Radeon card in my AGP port. Unfortunatly my PC cannot support PCI-E and it doesnt look as if I will be able to get a new pc for atleast 6 months.

Cutting to the chase, could someone please recommend an AGP card that would be better than the card listed above for around £100. Ideally (although this may be hard) im looking for something that will give me a decent FPS when playing Oblivion at a 1024x768 resolution with some of the optional settings on.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi!

Welcome to the forums :)

If it's just the vanilla X700, then a 6600GT would be your best option for £100. Great card and a decent upgrade. If it's an X700Pro then the 6600GT will be faster but only slightly

There is the X1600Pro, this performs about on par with the 6600GT but it's a little slower

The X800GTO will be a huge boost if you can stretch to £130

Soldato
OP
Seems to be just the vanilla X700. Cheers for the X800 GTO recommendation, I probably could take the spending up to £130. Ill have to evaluate how much money ive got coming in before I decide how much is going out on the card though ;) .

Associate
I was looking to upgrade from my 9800pro (died today). I was looking at the x800GTO, would that be a big boost?

What would be the best x800GTO to go for?

Soldato
t0ny said:
I was looking to upgrade from my 9800pro (died today). I was looking at the x800GTO, would that be a big boost?

What would be the best x800GTO to go for?

The X800GTO would be a decent boost over the 9800Pro

As for brand, there really isn't much in it so I'd go for the cheapest one or the one with the best bundle :)

Associate
Just read a really damning review on the x1600pro AGP saying it really is not worth paying for and the cost of upgrading to PCI-Express seems a better option..

I am so confused now, to get a PCI-Express port I would need a new MOBO
+ Chip, but did you not say to hang back on the chip right now?

Soldato
It will last you to the end of the year and it'll save a complete overhall

Everyone at the moment is waiting for Conroe, due at the end of July. If it's as good as it's cracked up to be then it'll beat the A64 chips and leave the old P4s in the dust

Associate
Ahh, thanks so much for your help.

Is it ok to post links on here to other sites?

LINK REMOVED

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks again for your help.

Looks like what ever happend to my PC has effected the on board NICnow. I get to static Orange lights on the back and it won't pick up an IP from my router.. This day is getting worse!!!!!

Got it working now..

Do I risk trying my 9800 hehehe!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom