Timeless/ageless car design/concept

Soldato
As the title says, i think there are very few cars in my eyes that the design seem ageless and will still stand with modern cars. Anyway here are what i have in mind.

Ford%20GT40%20800.jpg

Ford GT40. The design stands out and will comfortably sits next to ferraris and lambos of today, no doubt.

fto.jpg

The fto lines and curves are just oozing/screaming sexyness and beast. The car design is ten years old (or more) and yet the look is still aint dated.

Anyway, what are your design that you think it is timeless in today's world of motoring?

Soldato
CaneyJ said:
Oddly enough the Nissan Figaro I think is a pretty good retro time stopper.

Nobody would tell it was made 15+ years ago.
Instead, everyone would think it was made 40+ years ago...

The opposite to what the OP was getting at ;)

Soldato
Pagani Zonda

zonda.jpg

The lunacy of this car strikes me, it looks quite absurd. You have to see it in the flesh to appreciate it fully.

Honda NSX-R
hondansx.jpg

If you asked me what my favourite car is, I would probably say this, I have never been in one yet I think it is the perfection of a MR supercar. I will own one someday. :D

Lotus Super 7
super7.jpg

Out of the three this is the only one I have been in. It has the ride quality of a skateboard and the aerodynamics of an aerosol can. But still it has been copied so many times because it is a fine example of a British sportscar. Lightweight with a decent sized engine, Caterhams, Westfields and the Lotus 7s are all a riot to be in.

Man of Honour
Interesting thread. There is a LOT to be said for chosing a car with timeless looks - you can keep it for many years and it still won't look like a really old car.

Personally I think the number one candidate here has to be the Porsche 911.

This is due in part to the way Porsche barely change anything when they introduce a new model - a 997 is so very close to a 996, and the basic shape is close to that of the 993, etc. The result?

A timeless shape which will never really simply just look like another old car.

FTO is another good example - it has a few areas which are beginning to date but on the whole, you wouldnt think its an 11 year old car.

Soldato
OP
Williams

Yeap, i agree with the NSX, it is an awesome machine but it is shunned by supercar buyers :( .

Honda Uk sells 15 in a year iirc (according to jeremy clarkson).

EDIT
The lines are just jaw-dropping and i remember how low it is when i saw one two years ago... :cool:

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Williams

Yeap, i agree with the NSX, it is an awesome machine but it is shunned by supercar buyers :( .

Honda Uk sells 15 in a year iirc (according to jeremy clarkson).
Probably because of that H badge on both ends of it.

Replace it with a different badge, and it'd probably sell a lot better.

Shame, really, as it's such a great car :)

Soldato
If I had the money I would add to that 15 straight off. Then probably crash it and end up adding again to that 15. :p

They took the poor thing out of production.

The H badge is important, when you can afford to spend £80k on a car, you can afford to be a rich **** and get worried about what they will think down at the country club.

Soldato
The Ford GT is quite a stunner, I saw my first one out on the road today, it was an awesome looking car with the stripes going up the midle, just a classic shape that I think in years to come ford will be able to re-design it again and re-release it and it still look awesome!

Soldato
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Most 80's supercars still look quite fresh in my mind.

The lambo countach does it for me. I remember back in Nigeria, every household have a poster of it on the wall.....***DroolS** (it is always next to the image of that female tennis player scratching her bum...anyone remember that poster?) :cool:

As at the time it came out, it was years ahead of it's time. Even today the countach will draw attention and turn heads.

countach25th_1.jpg

Lamborghini-Countach_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
vanpeebles said:
fairlady 300zx, you just wouldnt think it was an 80s car. still looks great

I agree on that, but then I would ;)

To my eyes the FTO was never anything special to start with, i suppose it doesnt look dated though.

To me it doesnt matter if a car looks 'dated', tbh i wouldnt agree that 300zx isnt dated, the front and rear lights deffo show their age but thats not a bad thing, look at old Ferrari's, they look dated but still great, just like old lambo's. Most run of the mill cars (80s fords specifically :p) look horribly dated, did they even look good in their day?

For the hell of it, heres a pic :p
zedsig2.jpg

Man of Honour
ElRazur said:

Becuase it's barely a supercar. It doesn't offer contemporary supercar performance, it doesn't offer contomporary supercar power levels, it doesn't offer contemporary supercar prestige, and it doesn't offer contemporary sense of occasion. And I can't spell contemporary.

The problem with the NSX can easily be summed up by something I once heard..

You had a choice of two cars.

1) Mid engined, rear wheel drive, 0-60 5.3 seconds, 280bhp, £38,000.

2) Mid engined, rear wheel drive, 0-60 5.5 seconds, 276bhp, £63,000.

Oh yea, one is a Honda, one is a Porsche.

And thats just recently - until 98 when the NSX had the better engine fitted, its performance was roughly on-par with an executive saloons like the BMW 528i, not true supercars like the Ferrari F355!

I appreciate that it's a technically excellent car, infact, it's an excellent car in many ways, but when you try and mix it with supercars, you need a bone-fide supercar to ensure sales success. Not a technically brilliant Honda.

Man of Honour
ElRazur said:
Oh i see. I wonder what the people who push the buttons in Honda are doing about it.

Giving up, the NSX has ceased production :(

To be honest I'm not sure they could ever have really 'done' anything bar selling it a hugely lower price - to compete with Ferrari you need something a little more than technical excellence.. well, I guess they could have given it some performance..

Back
Top Bottom