Teaching English abroad

Soldato
Had a great weekend up north and met a guy who has been out in China for two years teaching english..says he had an awesome time...plus came back with a cute little chinese girlfriend! ;)

Anyway, has anyone here ever done it or currently out there doing it? Any information/links/tips would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Permabanned
Tried&Tested said:
Had a great weekend up north and met a guy who has been out in China for two years teaching english..says he had an awesome time...plus came back with a cute little chinese girlfriend! ;)

Anyway, has anyone here ever done it or currently out there doing it? Any information/links/tips would be fantastic.

Thanks.

I am in process of doing it I will be off in November/December time. In the summer I will studying TEFL, a five week course which is costing me a grand. For much better job prospects you should go for your TEFL/CELTA. By the way you don't need to speak the local language. :)

Soldato
OP
noob said:
I am in process of doing it I will be off in November/December time. In the summer I will studying TEFL, a five week course which is costing me a grand. For much better job prospects you should go for your TEFL/CELTA. By the way you don't need to speak the local language. :)

Where are you going and for how long? How did you organise it..through the TEFL site?

Good luck!

Associate
Tried&Tested said:
Thanks.

Hi, I did the Cambridge CELTA course in May 2004 at the Language Link School, Earls Court in London, Link, it was a 4 weeks intensive course. It was quite tough, as I had to lesson plan most nights and do weekend assignments each week, basically no social life for that month.

After passing the course, went to Hong Kong to teach at an adult learning centre Link, was there from Sept 2004 until Mar 2006. Overall it was fun teaching English to the local people, work was plentiful, full time or part time available, whatever suited your needs.

The English centre that I taught at had more female students than male, some were pretty hot if I must be honest. Chinese girls tend to age much better and are fascinated by foreigners.

If anyone is thinking of teaching English abroad, I would say "go for it", nothing to lose and a whole wealth of experience/culture to gain from it.

Associate
noob said:
kool are you going to work abroad again?

Possibly, the good thing with having an English Teaching Certificate is that you will always have the opportunity to teach English is any country that you desire, might go to Japan next time.

Soldato
On a similar theme but not quite the same, my sister is going to North Carolina to teach for a year in a month or so, just waiting for her police check to come back - only been waiting a few months for it :rolleyes:

She also looked at going to Thailand to teach English and iirc you only needed to know English as once in class the children had to speak English and not their native language.

Back
Top Bottom