For the Wordpress Guru's - optimising wordpress

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Not a good hacker at all, but I can get by on Wordpress pretty well. However I've noticed that my Blog is slower than other blogs and was wondering if anyone knew any obvious checks to look out for.

Y'know at the bottom of IE or FF how it shows "Waiting for ??????", "Transferring data from ??????", that seems to take a lot of hits before anything shows up.

Any tips for optimisation?

Last edited:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Sorry, forgot to list the site! lol.

Hosting is on UnitedHostings, pretty reliable company and the sub-domains I have, as well as the admin side of Wordpress is fast as hell.

Will try and disable a few plugins and see what's what. Weird though, it's as if if entering some kind of constant loop or taking several hits before it loads the page.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Ok well I've deactivated the Socialable plugin and it seems faster. Anyone care to vouch for that please.

Man of Honour
Dude, you have a habit of making things hard by not giving URLs:p Gimmie links! Champaaagne! Call me bubbles!

Not that it matters because I found it but hey :p

It might be trying to connect to a whole bunch of sites, which could slow it down? Just a guess :)

Edit: No, it's still doing the waiting/transferring thing. It's not like the server's slow, since Wordpress is reporting:

<!-- 39 queries. 0.6544 seconds. -->

Last edited:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Sorry for not making life easier! :p

Well I'm stumped over why it's so slow, will keep looking at it as i'm sure it'll be something simple.

Cheers anyway, hope it's not gonna be one of those days :rolleyes:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
robmiller said:
Could just be something temporary with your host :)

Possibly, I know they've been updating some of the servers of late.

I think it's K2 to be honest. Just switched to the default theme and it's a lot faster (still on that theme now if you want to confirm).

The only thing I've added recently is the google analytics, and looking at the source, K2 seems to load a fair few JavaScript stuff so that could cause a few reloads.

Man of Honour
I run K2, my Wordpress install kicks out a lot more queries than yours, and my blog works fine :)

Looking at the page, you have nearly 1Mbof images in it which isn't good...those three thumbnails at the bottom...resize them and re-upload, they're being resized in HTML which is Bad...they're HUGE! :eek:

Turns out I have a server down the road from the one which hosts your site and downloading it to that is pretty quick (just the html file, no images), so I'd say it's not CSS (crappy server syndrome).

Edit: It looks like you also have another plugin, UltimateTagWarrior - try disabling that, because it looks mental :)

It could be your host no longer caches PHP scripts, which would explain the extra speed after disabling K2 (because there's less code to run), but the impact from that is normally extremely minor (though script caching did half the loading time of one of my sites which wasn't limited by any other factor.)

Last edited:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
Cheers for that, never thought about the images been so big. Typical huh, webdeveloper and I can't develop my own web correctly! :D

That tag warrior, just checked and it is huge, so will play about with the settings some more.

Thanks again for the help.

Soldato
Hehe, I linked the missus (who's on 56k and about to get a Shuttle) to your Shuttle SN25P page the other day and she nearly cried at how long it took to load :p There's like 20 x 200KB of images on there, madness.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
robmiller said:
Hehe, I linked the missus (who's on 56k and about to get a Shuttle) to your Shuttle SN25P page the other day and she nearly cried at how long it took to load :p There's like 20 x 200KB of images on there, madness.

Hate to see a woman cry! :D

Point taken you swines, will reduce the size now

/damn 56k'ers..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom