Sony Playstation 3 Console With 60GB HDD & 3 Games £549.99

Permabanned
XPE said:
also £50 per game, just a bit over the top for me :(

Is it confirmed that games will be £50? Bear in mind that (AFAIK) the RRP of Xbox360 games is £49.99 yet they are easily found £10+ cheaper than that.

XPE said:
Blue-ray media surly must be cheaper to make than cartridges

Again AFAIK PS3 games are going to be on DVD, not blu-ray discs. So there really is no reason for them to cost more than Xbox360 games.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Again AFAIK PS3 games are going to be on DVD, not blu-ray discs. So there really is no reason for them to cost more than Xbox360 games.

I though all PS3 games would be Blu-Ray? you got a source for the above at all?

Soldato
masterk said:
If Sony gave up on this stupid Blu-Ray idea we would be playing PS3's now and paying a price similar to the Xbox.
Hear, hear, but mostly i will be buying one as a cheap(er) Blue-ray movie player and only play games once and a while (i can wait a few months for game prices to fall)

Soldato
McDaniel said:
I though all PS3 games would be Blu-Ray? you got a source for the above at all?

There not.. Infact im pretty sure that all PS3 Dev kits can only read 1 DVD currently unless streaming off a Firewire.. And sony are encouraging games to fit on a single DVD to save on manufacturing costs.

Soldato
Davey_Pitch said:
Replace "hardcore gamer" with "fanboy" and you're closer to the truth.
So i have two 360's, a GC, a psp, snes, N64, DC and because i'll be getting a PS3 by your reckoning i'll be classed as a Fanboy? Thats mighty mature of you there, well done.

Permabanned
well I cant afford one, I feel sorry for all the parents having to get second jobs so they can buy one for little timmy who by xmas will be screaming "buy me a PS3" day and night until his parents cave in because thats what Sony want.

We could all have one now if sony wernt so anal about blu ray, I saw a blu ray player running a demo movie at the aht hifi show end of last year, yeah it was hidef but wasnt anything I hadnt seen before

Soldato
MrMoon said:
We could all have one now if sony wernt so anal about blu ray, I saw a blu ray player running a demo movie at the aht hifi show end of last year, yeah it was hidef but wasnt anything I hadnt seen before

And with attitude like this we would all be watching vcr's on SD televisions probably with audio tapes instead of cd's etc.

So you cant afford the first wave, doenst mean the whole developement of new ideas has to stop so the market goes stale.

Every company whether its Ford or Maynards (wine gums) want a product or trademark as powerful as PlayStation, let alone be at the forefront of some techno leap in the standard.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Is it confirmed that games will be £50? Bear in mind that (AFAIK) the RRP of Xbox360 games is £49.99 yet they are easily found £10+ cheaper than that.

£50 is the online price, i dont know what the in store price will be.

dirtydog said:

i heard that all ps3 games are comming out on Blue-ray to cut down on piracy

EDIT: LINK PS3 games on Blu-ray only

Last edited:
Man of Honour
XPE said:
£50 is the online price, i dont know what the in store price will be.

i heard that all ps3 games are comming out on Blue-ray to cut down on piracy

EDIT: LINK PS3 games on Blu-ray only

It's a little conflicting still, as if I remember the E3 press conference, the guy said that to begin with, the majority of PS3 games would start out on DVD, then after a few years most will be on BD, much like most PS2 games started off on CD, then after a few years most games on DVD.

With regards to the game pricing, I reckon they'll end up retailing at £39.99 or £44.99 depending on the stores, as I think the current sellers for pre-orders are just going to cover their backs just in case at the moment, and they could end up dropping the price if needbe.

Man of Honour
masterk said:
If Sony gave up on this stupid Blu-Ray idea we would be playing PS3's now and paying a price similar to the Xbox.

Thing is, Blu-Ray will probably add another 1-2 years of life onto the PS3, giving it a good advantage over the 360 in terms of game design possibilities, as the 360 will be stuck using 9GB DVDs, the PS3 using 40+GB BD will have advantage. Maybe not graphically, as storage space will not automatically give you better graphics, and doubt that will for this generation, but content wise, such as more levels, sound, music, speech, videos etc.

Also when it comes to the point where everybody wants a Blu-Ray player in the next 3-4 years, they'll be able to pick up a PS3 on the cheap, but saying that it really will depend upon Blu-Ray actually kicking off and becoming popular in the household and replacing DVD as the standard.

Associate
DaveyD said:
Thing is, Blu-Ray will probably add another 1-2 years of life onto the PS3, giving it a good advantage over the 360 in terms of game design possibilities, as the 360 will be stuck using 9GB DVDs, the PS3 using 40+GB BD will have advantage.

Isn't the Xbox 360 supposed to have support via an external drive for whichever new format wins out? So if Blu-ray becomes the next standard, MS will bring out a Blu-ray drive addon, and an HD DVD external drive if HD DVD becomes the standard?

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Etaqua said:
Isn't the Xbox 360 supposed to have support via an external drive for whichever new format wins out? So if Blu-ray becomes the next standard, MS will bring out a Blu-ray drive addon, and an HD DVD external drive if HD DVD becomes the standard?

Doesnt matter because MS will not bring out games on what ever media it is, because the main drive is DVD

tho in the long run im sure the 360 can just use multi disks like the ps1 did back in the day

Soldato
£550 really is a mental price, especially considering none of the games bundled look to be anything special... certainly nothing I would go out and buy.

For the same price you can buy:

360 premium
Oblivion
second controller
remote
faceplate (bundle for £300)
Nintendo Revolution (gonna be about £160 +/-£10)
Hitman: Bloodmoney
Table Tennis
+extra controller/faceplate/memory card/GC games for the Revolution etc.

Man of Honour
Etaqua said:

Yes, the HD-DVD drive will be out soon, but, no games will be used on it, only movies. Therefore MS will still make all games on DVD.

Back
Top Bottom