Drinking beer to un-wind

Soldato
Hey there,

I have just been thinking to my self (yes I know not the best idea :p).

But, do you ever think that drinking to relax is all superficial? As in alchol doesn't really relax you, but its your brain telling your body that this beer or glass of wine "will relax you".

I ask as I have just finished a 13hr shift and I am sat here browsing the forums with a nice cold bottle of beer in my hand, knowing that if I have the other 2 in the fridge I will be out like a light in about 40 mins when i goto sleep.

What do you guys think?

Do you need to drink to relax or can you do it with out it?

KaHn

Soldato
OP
jidh007 said:
I don't *need* a drink to relax, but it can help. I find spirits are the best way to make you sleepy :D And damn could I use some now, can't sleep at all. It's driving me nuts.

But even over time that "I dont *need* but it helps" arguements starts like the smokers argument about quiting anytime, yes I know nicotine creates cravings but as has just been stated above, you think it would be easier to sleep with spirits, which surely is a type of craving?

KaHn

Soldato
It could be argued that feeling relaxed is just a matter of natural chemicals in the brain "doing their thing" anyway.

Alcohol is just a man made method of achieving a similar state.

Though I believe alcohol is basically a depressant in fact.

Soldato
OP
Oh dont get my wrong I am not trying to say that we are all raging alcoholics for wanting a beer to relax with, its just something I have been thinking about recently.

Wanted some different views on it :)

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Nozzer said:
I've been drinking beer tonight after putting my back out last night (;)) and driving 125 miles in a bloody uncomfortable sports car today.

I'm hammered now.

It's great.

See i think its different to drink to relax and drink to get drunk.

I normally drink to get drunk as I like the feeling (yes some will argue that), but I have only recently started to drink to relax.

KaHn

Suspended
KaHn said:

I normally drink to get drunk as I like the feeling (yes some will argue that), but I have only recently started to drink to relax.

KaHn
I didn't start drinking with the intention of getting drunk, I fancied a beer after being in a hot car, in a traffic jam on the M1 for an hour, with an engine right behind me :)

I was obviously more dehydrated than I thought.

Associate
KaHn said:

KaHn

Yeah. After a long shift at work, or after a really hard ass exam at college (hah, yes I realise i'm a lazy student) a beer or something with a alcoholic potency is great! I must admit when I first started drinking, which was more or less socially, no peer pressure anything, as I did enjoy drinking, but it was with the aim of getting drunk.

Can't appreciate anything more than a nice cold, well poured guinness after a long day :D

Soldato
Well I've had 4 pints and a quite a few vodkas and I feel rather relaxed now. :p

But I'd say that alcohol isn't required for someone to relax and unwind but it's probably one of the quickest ways to achive that result.

If I've got a few days off work (and by that I mean no contact with work, which is unusually to say the least) I normally start unwind and feel a whole lot more relaxed. But if I get home in the evening and it's late and I'm still feeling stressed or have a lot on my mind I do find that a few drinks soon gets rid of that and I can kick back and rest.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don’t know but it currently works for me. :\

Back
Top Bottom