Trouble starting up

Associate
In the morning, when I go to turn on my computer, it starts asnormal, displaying the bios, and the Windows loading thing, with the blue bars. But then, when it gets to the log in screen, the monitor turns off. I don't know if this is a problem with the graphics card, or the monitor, so any help would be appretiated.

Soldato
STartup in VGA mode ( Hold down F8 when it starts loading windows.... right after it counts your memory and stuff ) and see if it boots. Ive a feeling its something to do with screen refresh rates or resolution. Starting in VGA mode will allow you in to change things back to normal.

Associate
OP
In safe/vga mode, how would I change the refresh rate?
Also, when I booted this morning, took a couple of tries, but it displayed Windows, and I got logged on. Then the screen went blank.

Don
Phan7omEli7e™ said:
I don't know how.

Right click on your desktop - properties - settings - advance (bottom left corner) - then click on the monitor tab - put your refresh frequency down to 60, then click apply...

Let us know how it goes...

Stelly

Associate
OP
Nope, didn't completely fix it. Had the same problem starting up tonight.
And BTW, I'm using an old IBM P200, about 10 years old... should I just upgrade to one that would accept more than 60hz?

Associate
OP
Ok.
New problems.
Started up as normal. When I got logged on, the screen went funky colours for a second, then normalised. Then, all the icons started disappearing, then reapearing... And, when I scroll, it has a sort if ripple effect on the web pages. The Graphics card driver is installed.
Would it help just to reinstall the OS, after making backups of course.
EDIT: nvm I booted with the last know good configuration and worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom