Watching World Cup Football on the Internet - TV Licence?

Soldato
My work are in a bit of a quandry about this one.

BBC are streaming live footbally matches over the Internet. This means I could potentially watch the matches while I'm at work.

However our 'girls club' of county managers beleive that this will be breaking the law because we do not have TV licences for any of the offices.

So basically, do you need a TV licence to watch live streaming football over the Internet?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
What's £130 to a business? I can't see anywhere that means a business has to pay any different. I'm sure most companies wouldn't mind paying it to boost moral of their employees (if they've already agreed you can watch them, that is).

Soldato
it's wierd that you can't use your own tv licence - if i take a portable tv and sit in the park the park wardens don't suddenly need to buy a tv licence!

fini

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
fini said:
it's wierd that you can't use your own tv licence - if i take a portable tv and sit in the park the park wardens don't suddenly need to buy a tv licence!

fini

Portable TV's ie. those that run off batteries, don't require a TV licence. As odd as that sounds.

Soldato
So does the company have to buy a TV licence for its travelling sales men as well?

Eg,

Mr Rofos is out on business and is staying in a Hotel which has free wifi access to the internet. He proceeds to watch the WC on his company laptop in the privacy of his own room. :eek: :D

Soldato
OP
Mikol said:
What's £130 to a business? I can't see anywhere that means a business has to pay any different. I'm sure most companies wouldn't mind paying it to boost moral of their employees (if they've already agreed you can watch them, that is).
Firstly, all the managers are old women. Without being sexist - they couldn't give a hoot about the few blokes in the company and the world cup.

Secondly, I work for a public service. You wouldn't beleive the tightness. At christmas all the staff were told that if they wanted to attend the Xmas lunch, as well as paying all themselves, they would have to take leave to attend. :(

How would you feel if you tax was being spent on my Xmas lunch. Exactly - there are no perks. The only perk is that you dont have to work hard, as your pay etc is not based on your performance. Which I personally think sucks. I've done tonnes for this company, but will still go up the pay scale the same as someone who's sat on their fat ass bunking off doing nothing all year.

Soldato
OP
leaskovski said:
So does the company have to buy a TV licence for its travelling sales men as well?

Eg,

Mr Rofos is out on business and is staying in a Hotel which has free wifi access to the internet. He proceeds to watch the WC on his company laptop in the privacy of his own room. :eek: :D
The hotel would have a TV licence.

Associate
Bug One said:
My work are in a bit of a quandry about this one.

BBC are streaming live footbally matches over the Internet. This means I could potentially watch the matches while I'm at work.

However our 'girls club' of county managers beleive that this will be breaking the law because we do not have TV licences for any of the offices.

So basically, do you need a TV licence to watch live streaming football over the Internet?

No

I have told you lot before. No is the answer to watch football via BBC website!!

TV licencing person already came to my house and I told them very clearly that my PC does not have a TV tuner capable of receiving signals from the aerial.

His handheld scanner proved this as well, whist the football was being streamed live to my PC!!!!

They left the premises and never bothered me again.

Now if you have a TV tuner in your PC then you are breaking the law if you don't have a TV licence and get caught watching football on BBC!

Associate
Bug One said:
What about a laptop, running off batteries?

If the laptop has a TV tuner then you are liable for a licence.

If the laptop does not have a TV tuner and you are connected to the internet streaming live video from the website then no.

Hope this clears up the situation.

Back
Top Bottom