Which Digital Camera?

Soldato
hi,

Im looking at buying a new digital camera. My dad's a photographer so i have access to his canon Digital SLR's when i need to use them.

However, when i need something a bit more compact i usually borrow his Canon Powershot a70 (i think), its a couple of years old and hardly gets any use at all. I have been using it recently and tbh wasn't very impressed with it. This could be due to the fact that im expecting a lot more after using his DSLR's.
I was quite unimpressed at the 3x optical zoom, as i felt it wasn't enough, but maybe thats just the norm and again im expecting too much.

So just wondering if there are any compact digital camera's which stand out at the moment?

Budget is lower side of £400.

Thanks, Tom

Associate
Although the most recent to buy one, can I be the first to recommend the Canon IXUS 800IS.

The level of manual control is just enough to not be cumbersome and the auto mode is generally pretty good at getting the photo right.

Soldato
your not going to get much more than 3-4x optical zoon with a 'compact' digital camera. if you really want more, then i think you should probably be looking at slr-style cameras as well. Some of them still have reasonably small footprints when the lense is retracted into the body.

i choose my fuji 5500 for those reasons. compacts dont offer the zoom i wanted.

fuji5500_1.jpg
fuji5500_2.jpg

fuji5500_3.jpg
fuji5500_4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
james.miller said:
your not going to get much more than 3-4x optical zoon with a 'compact' digital camera. if you really want more, then i think you should probably be looking at slr-style cameras as well. Some of them still have reasonably small footprints when the lense is retracted into the body.

Agreed but I would go for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 instead.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys, think your right about trying a DSLR.

Been looking around and spoken to my dad and i heading towards having the Canon 350D w/ lens for £460 ish.

Thats what i will probably go for unless you can really put me off it :)

Another advantage is ive got access to Loads of lenses from my dads studio, which will save a few £££ :D

I can always borrow my gf's new Fuji Z1 for days trips where i wouldnt take my 350D.

So, am i doing the rigth thing?

tom

Back
Top Bottom