• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GFX upgrade?

Associate
Hi all.

Looking to bump up the graphics in my second machine. Installed Richard Burns Rally on there earlier and it won't work as the current gfx card dosen't support pixel shading. (GForce MX 440SE 64MB)

Now as its only my second computer, and it's nothing special (Sempron 2400+/cheap mobo/1GB generic RAM) I don't want to spend too much. Would probably like to go second hand.

What would the cheapest but worthwhile upgrade be?

Thanks.

Soldato
Hate to say it but a Geforce 6200 sounds like a decent upgrade for that machine. ~£30 for the 128MB version and ~£40 for the 256MB one.

I'll be honest, they're both terrible cards, but they fit your budget and will be a pretty big upgrade from an MX 440. They support all current shader models, too.

Associate
fair point about that 6200 supporting the newest shaders but its not really got the power to fully use them. surely the 9800 would have more raw power than the 6200?

Soldato
fullfat said:
fair point about that 6200 supporting the newest shaders but its not really got the power to fully use them. surely the 9800 would have more raw power than the 6200?
Yeah, you're not wrong at all. The only reason I mentioned it was because his MX 440 didn't support whichever shader model his game uses, it's a minor plus that the 6200 just happens to support them all currently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom