Swapping soundcards - different wires?

Associate
Hi all,
I dought a Dell computer some while back, and the soundcard has just finally got on my nerves. It doesn't play music properly (this is the MODEL, not the individual hardware) and I cannot get my Medusa 5.1 headphones to work on it, while at the same time using my 5.1 speakers.

The soundcard in question is the Sound Blaster X-Fi, I'm not sure what model exactly, but I think it's meant to support 7.1 sound, too. I'm trying to swap it for my Dolby Digital 5.1 soundcard in my old computer, but I've noticed the plugs are different (that connect to the motherboard). The one in my Dell computer (Soundblaster X-Fi) is bigger than the one in my old computer. I'm not sure about the connection to the motherboard though, I honestly can't follow the wire without extreme difficulty.

Does anyone know WHY this cable is bigger, and if it's possible to swap it around with the one on my old computer? If it's required I can probably post pictures of both...

Soldato
What are the problems with the X-Fi? Chances are someone will know how to sort it on here.

What's the brand/model number of the older soundcard you're trying to replace it with? Are you able to get any photos of the plug(s) that won't fit?

For the headphones you'd probably just need a couple of these to plug both in at the same time.

Soldato
yeah that's a litt......scratch that, its a LOT vague. Why doesnt it play music properly? what's going wrong?

you cant use your 5.1 speakers and your medusa's at the same time? how are they plugged in?

we need a little mroe info:)

Associate
OP
Well, I don't need help sorting out the soundcard and the problems I'm having with it - I've tried tweaking as much as I can and I'm fed up with it. I'm not sure of specific models, but I'll get a picture of the wires later.

Note:This is not an individual hardware problem. I recently had to have the computer replaced because of problems I was having, and the problems existed before.

Last edited:
Soldato
well ok, i wont help you then. but i can assure you everybody else with that sound card doesnt have problems playing music. thats why its most likely your card/software thats at fault, not the model.

anyhow, i shant bother.

Soldato
Well if you actually told us the specifics of the problems it might be an easy fix. As james.miller says, it's not a common problem so it's likely a software/driver issue.

Associate
OP
Ok then.

When playing at 100% volume, music is really distorted. It's noticable most with louder songs where the loud parts of the song have really noticable distortion. My brother found that if you turn the volume setting down to 50% then the sound becomes undistorted when playing just as loud. However, doing this essentially turns off the Centre speaker, and when playing games there's certian "blind spots" where you hear someone run past, then their footsteps dissapear, then you hear them again.

I'm really not very good at explaining this, but I hope that was understandable...

Soldato
hmm, that's a wierd one.

I assume when you turn it down to 50% you turn the actual speakers up so it's the same volume?

Try opening up the THX control panel and adjusting the individual speaker volumes so the centre channel is a higher level than the 4 other speakers and then running the main volume on about 50% - 75% and using the speakers to turn the volume up.

If this doesn't work, could you post pictures of the old/new soundcard and the cable in question and we can tell you what you need to do.

Associate
OP
I'll give it a go now, but for now:

Soudblaster X-Fi:
Cable1.jpg

And then that goes into the front hub on the computer (which has a microphone and a headphone socket). Bit difficult to get to, actually:
Cable2.jpg

Old sound card:
Cable3.jpg

Plugs into the back of the DVD Drive (sorry about the focus on this one):
Cable4.jpg

Are the plugs that go into the Cd drive (or the front hub, on my new PC) usually the same? Or is that the plugs you need pictures of? :confused:

Soldato
The one to the front of the case won't work with the other soundcard so you'll lose the front panel connectors, and you don't need the cable that goes to the DVD Drive.

Associate
OP
Ok, so the only thing I stand to lose is the front ports if I swap them over?

Edit:
Went ahead and swapped them. Got some better drivers for it (the versions I had were on a scratched up CD and were causing massive system problems) and it works fine. Thanks for the help Phil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom