Lemans: the final countdown

Soldato
James_N said:
might see you on the way down, you going to be in the MR2?

No, MR2 is off the road. I'll be with my brother in his Azure Blue Elise S1 and a couple of mates from work in a crappy old Lucida that will be holding all our camping stuff :D

Soldato
aah. If i see you, i'll give you a wave.

Out of interest, which is the best way from Calais down to le mans. The guide ive got here says take the E402 but i just wondered what everyone else was going to do?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Don't know if you'll get this in time but there's a new road opened that bypasses all the old crap that used to take ages. I think it's a Peage road and it takes you basically all the way down to Rouens. You still have to fight your way through the traffic at Rouens but it should shave quite a lot of time off the total journey which used to be a pig.

My boat is a big floaty thing leaving Poole at about 5 tomorrow. I'm in a black Skoda Octavia, wearing a blue flowery shirt and I'm going to be DRUNK :cool:

Soldato
The Autosport guide is rubbish and still lists the old Calais Le Mans route which uses A roads from Rouen to Alencon. There is now a peage all the way from Calais to Le Mans though you do have to go through Roeun to catch the new bit of road. New road is the A28 (I think), old route is the N138.

Soldato
Just had a text message through from Del Lardo:

Please can you post on the ocuk le mans thread and warn people about bad weather and **** road conditions.
Friend wrote his Westfield off today :(

Soldato
stoofa said:
Just had a text message through from Del Lardo:

Please can you post on the ocuk le mans thread and warn people about bad weather and **** road conditions.
Friend wrote his Westfield off today :(

Thanks Paul. I'm back :D

Weather conditions on Wednesday were horrendous and the accident was at low speed only about 5 miles from Houx Annex. Car is probably written off but more importantly both the driver and passenger are fine. I've got a couple of photos and saw what happened in my rear view mirror but want to check with my friend before any pictures/details end up on the internet. If he's OK with it then I'll include them in my forthcoming Le Mans 2006 thread.

Other than that Le Mans 2006 was fantastic :D Even the crashee enjoyed himself (from Thursday onwards).

Suspended
That was a great week away. Downloading nearly a gig of photos off camera as we speak and i'll try to up them soon.

Yeah as said, rained hard on Wednesday and our gazebo took a beating and fell apart (thats what £20 gets you). Apart from Wed the weather was hot, late 20's to early 30's and it was a great time.

Shame pool's weren't allowed this year but that seemed to be the only down point.

Audi Diesel won the whole thing and class by 4 laps, Corvette beat Aston Martin in their class and forgot the name of it won the other class... Someone will fill in that bit.

The cars parading down the Mulsanne Straight was a great watch as well.

People who didn't go.....you missed out. Gutted.

Caporegime
Just got back too, how hot was it yesterday :D . Friday night on the roundabout was mental too, must have been mid 30s where we were.

Those Audi's were so quiet compared to the other cars, not surprised they won as they had a massive power advantage over the other cars.

Caporegime
Rednut05 said:
Yeah why were they so quiet. Is a tuned to death diesel that bad sounding. I wouldn't be surprised.

So how many diesels next year?

Low revs (only 5500rpm) helps, plus the turbos silence. They are also fitted with particul filters to catch all the black soot that they would otherwise emit.

Associate
Got back just before midnight, I had a blast, pics and vids to come.

New toll road really saved us some time, managed to make some very good progress there and back :)

We stayed just by the roundabout, it all got a bit crazy and we thought the S2000 was going to kill someone so called it a day.

If anyone has any pics / vids of the 2 Blue S14 200sx's driving round the roundabout on friday let me know / post it up, ta

Soldato
I had to come back early, being disabled and not being able to walk that far, kinda spoilt it a bit. My first time this year so didnt know really what to expect.

I'll be back next year, just need to find a way of getting around thats better than a car (because the traffic was dire) and also thats not 2 wheels (i cant ride a bike).

We were at a roundabout about 5 mins walk from Karting Nord campsite that we thought was the one where all the action took place because there was people on there, but i guess we got the wrong roundabout :D

Soldato
The roundabout is the one by Houx Annex campsite. We were camped on/made up some of "Lotus Alley" by the toilet/shower block next to the roundabout.

James, something like a quad could be suitable for next year. No idea what your disability is but it's something you can sit on and is certainly more suitable that a goped/bike.

Top marks to the stripped out M3 that was doing doughnuts, there's some top pictures on Piston Heads Le Mans forum but there's some bad words so can't link directly.

Soldato
andyfield said:
We stayed just by the roundabout, it all got a bit crazy and we thought the S2000 was going to kill someone so called it a day.

Did you see the MX-5 that missed a kid by about an inch? Certainly not somewhere I would let any child of mine near.

As a random thought are any Le Mans people finding that their sleep is totally weird. I couldn't get to sleep last night till about 3am as I was listening out for the noise of fireworks and cars and then slept for 14 hours straight!!! Tried sleeping tonight and I can't despite being totally knackered. Guess that hardly sleeping for 5 days will mess you up a bit.

Caporegime
andyfield said:

Ah dark coloured one I chucked an entire bucket of water over ? :o

Back
Top Bottom