'Don't call me mate'

Associate
Speaking to a user today and I suggested he bring his laptop over for us to look at and, as usual I ended the sentence with 'mate' - He then tells me quite rudely not to call him that stating 'you don't know me, I could be anyone'. I was quite confused by this, it didn't stop me calling him mate when he came over though! Really noticed how many people use it now, I can't believe he got so upset! - What the hell is wrong with some people?

/rant

Hitman
Permabanned
I can't stand people using the word "mate". As the customer said, it should be reserved for people you know well and are in a situation to speak so casually to. It's even worse hearing men call women "mate", that really grates.

Soldato
If you get wound up about someone calling you mate then seriously get your head sorted it's hardly a big deal now is it mates?

Nothing wrong with using it in IT, damn sure I'm not calling my users "sir" or "madame" sod that.

Not like drug dealers call thier users "sir" very often.. well except that one time in Trainspotting if I remember correctly :D

Associate
OP
JohnnyG said:
I wouldn't worry about it mate.

:)

It didn't really bother me, it was just stupid, fine if you don't like it but why be so rude? Besides, my telephone manner is second to none! Apart from the odd colloquilaism ;)

Soldato
While its not very professional it is a bit more sociable. I much prefer being called, mate, Paul, stell etc rather than sir or Mr Steele, but some people dont like a sociable approach and prefer the more professional and upmarket way.

Associate
I don't get why people are offended by it. It's not like they're claiming they have been your friend for a while, they're just trying to be friendly.

Caporegime
im from East London and most people say "Mate" about 3 or 4 times a scentance :D

It does get annoying but to overeact like that just shows that hes a bit of a ****. Obviously not from part of the country that uses it in common daily speech.

Ive been in the same situation, me chatting to 3 blokes from Mansfield, they couldnt understand why i called em "mate" and for a sec i thought it was gonna get Lairy, lol.

No Swearing! FF.

Permabanned
Last time somebody had a go at me for calling them "mate" I turned around and said:

"Ok.. I'm just being friendly but sod it, I'll call you ****face from now on then."

Soldato
Try working in B&Q leery old men call me 'darlin' 'pet' 'love' 'sweety' 'babe' and that old Scottish favourite 'hen'. I'd love to tell them not to as it makes me uncomfortable but i can't. I don't mind people calling me mate even if they don't know me though.

Soldato
I call everyone mate apart from a manager at work who told me not to call him by that :rolleyes:

Even some of the pilots at work use mate over the VHF. I really don't see what the problem is.

To the OP, maybe you should call him ****.... alright ****, your laptops ready :p

Associate
I work for an IT firm and we get a lot of sales calls people trying to flog us stuff... always the same pitch and they call me 'mate' like I'm going to buy something off them when they call me that! VERY un-proffesional!

I always use sir or madam when talking to our customers..

Back
Top Bottom