When do you set your house alarm?

Soldato
My dad has just recently set up our new house alarm and has decided that it should be set at night when we are in the house. I thought this was strange as everyone else i know only sets their alarm when they leave the house.

So when do you lot set your house alarms? Personally i don't think there is any need in setting the alarm when we're in the house, as anyone who breaks in will make a lot of noise...

Man of Honour
Soldato
When I first got mine I'd set it at night when we were all upstairs and when we'd leave. Now I only set it when we leave for extended periods of time. I'm not exactly sure why we switched.

Actually, I should probably start setting it when we're out for any period of time.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
All my security systems are fully armed when the house is empty, but external and instrusion-detection systems are armed at night. All zones have 24/7 fire and smoke coverage, but many internal (intrusion) zones are disabled at night while the house is occupied.

What you can and should do will depend on the size of the property, the sophistication of the security system and your individual needs.

Caporegime
Johanson said:
Personally i don't think there is any need in setting the alarm when we're in the house, as anyone who breaks in will make a lot of noise...

You would be surprised. when me my sister and brother were kids and dad used to go away mum used to set it when we were asleep.

Ahh man the alarm for a 5 year old bleary eyed boy is the worst thing in the world :p as i happened to find out one morning.

On my 6th birthday i did it again, but dad was home so i thought the alarm wouldnt be on i got downstairs and into the lounge to start ripping open presents, i grabbed the first one and the alarm went off lol :p

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Johanson said:
Fully armed? :eek: Sounds dangerous!
Well, my "systems" include a 9mm Glock 17 in a "finger-safe" by the bed.

But that wasn't actually what I meant. I was talking about actual security systems ..... which light up as "armed" on the control panel when active. :)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Phate said:
Feek reccomended the set up to him

He's got turrets and everything

and 2 russian guards called Dymetrie with rotwielers guarding the frontal doors before the moat and crossbridge
Erm ..... I haven't got a moat. :confused:

:D

Soldato
House alarms are useless IMO, who on earth ever responds to a house alarm? If I ever hear one going off on our street I just close the window and hope the owners turn up quick to disable yet another false alarm. I remember watching a documentary about crime prevention where a burglar was being interviewed. He said alarms do nothing to deter an intruder because no one pays attention to them. I suppose one linked to a local security firm would be better but much more expensive. The best deterrent by far is a nice big dog :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
Captain Planet said:
I don't respond to house alarms, the police do. They alarm calls them even when you are not home. that seems to make the difference IMHO.

Plus if I were a crook and I was looting houses and an alarm siren went off when I broke in, I'd be running the other direction so that I wasn't around when the cops arrived.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Captain Planet said:
House alarms are useless IMO, who on earth ever responds to a house alarm? If I ever hear one going off on our street I just close the window and hope the owners turn up quick to disable yet another false alarm. I remember watching a documentary about crime prevention where a burglar was being interviewed. He said alarms do nothing to deter an intruder because no one pays attention to them. I suppose one linked to a local security firm would be better but much more expensive. The best deterrent by far is a nice big dog :D

Some alams are conected up to some computers that if set off it calls the cops :)
Job done, police arive.

And i want to buy a lire bird and teach it to make shot gun sounds :p

Soldato
The IIIIIIIIIIIIIIRONY.

I've just spent the past ten minutes speaking to the police, I was happily fiddling away at my computer when I hear a noise in the street, look out to see four scummers who do not live anywhere here. These four proceed to walk right into the house opposite, so I grab the phone and about three minutes later four units are on my street (Followed by a helicopter... I have to praise the police here, absolutely spot on. All very nice as well. Very good show :)).
So I'm sitting in my front room watching the whole thing develop, the hoodies had scarpered but to my astonishment the two houseowners were walking around in their bathrobes. The hoodies had left a stash round the corner, so they had come and gone more than once, and yet all through this the owners slept peacefully upstairs. Not a cool awakening.

So my answer is that it's not at all a stupid idea to set it when you are actually in the house. As long as everyone knows the pincode it's certainly better than being woken by something far worse.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
El Gringo said:
The IIIIIIIIIIIIIIRONY.

I've just spent the past ten minutes speaking to the police, I was happily fiddling away at my computer when I hear a noise in the street, look out to see four scummers who do not live anywhere here. These four proceed to walk right into the house opposite, so I grab the phone and about three minutes later four units are on my street (Followed by a helicopter... I have to praise the police here, absolutely spot on. All very nice as well. Very good show :)).
So I'm sitting in my front room watching the whole thing develop, the hoodies had scarpered but to my astonishment the two houseowners were walking around in their bathrobes. The hoodies had left a stash round the corner, so they had come and gone more than once, and yet all through this the owners slept peacefully upstairs. Not a cool awakening.

So my answer is that it's not at all a stupid idea to set it when you are actually in the house. As long as everyone knows the pincode it's certainly better than being woken by something far worse.

Did the scum get caught?

Soldato
Don't think so, the helicopter was coming and going for aaages, and the vans were hear for at least an hour. And my description was practically nonexistant due to the dark.
Pity, it would have satisfied me no end.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
El Gringo said:
Don't think so, the helicopter was coming and going for aaages, and the vans were hear for at least an hour. And my description was practically nonexistant due to the dark.
Pity, it would have satisfied me no end.

I would have thought the chopper would have sighted them rather easily and would have just been following them and directing the police to them.

Back
Top Bottom