Photo album software needed for Mac

Associate
Recently got myself a powerbook off these forums and really liking it. The one problem I have is that I can't seem to find a good photo catalog app. On my old windows laptop I had photoshop elements which had a really good photo album section. You could tag photos by location, people, and add as many categories/sub-categories as you wanted.

I tried PS elements on the mac and for some reason the album part of it is missing from the mac version. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Associate
Logan09 said:
Recently got myself a powerbook off these forums and really liking it. The one problem I have is that I can't seem to find a good photo catalog app. On my old windows laptop I had photoshop elements which had a really good photo album section. You could tag photos by location, people, and add as many categories/sub-categories as you wanted.

I tried PS elements on the mac and for some reason the album part of it is missing from the mac version. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Can't say for sure, but I would have have thought that iPhoto in the iLife suite of products would do this.

Must admit, once I do my PC->Mac migration, I'll be aiming to maintain Elements (v4) on a BootCamp PC install. I like the way Elements works, and I can't justify buying a new version of Elements, until there is a new Mac version that is Universal or Intel spec.... and then only if it includes the same kind of Organizer that Elements had in version 3 or version 4 for Windows.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Like Basher said, it should be included with the machines unless it's a really old Powerbook.

Even if it isn't I would reccomend buying iLife.. well worth the money.

Associate
OP
I have iPhoto, but it seems to be just a browser. I wanted something like the elements organiser where you could categorise your photos by say Country, then have sub-categories of different regions of a country, etc.

As far as I can see there is no way to do this in iPhoto, you can add keywords but that seems to be it. I'll have another play with it and see.

I have a bunch of photos (about 2000) that are from my round the world trip and they are not organised in any folder structure at all. In PSE organizer on the pc i could tag each file by person, place, sub-place, any category I could come up with. Is this possible in iPhoto, or is it all just done by keyword searches?

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe you can also setup smart folders to pick up keywords and show the photos of the specified keyword in a virtual folder

Last edited:
Associate
iLife isn't really installed on all new macs anyway, if someone bought an old mac that originally had Panther installed, then the drive was wiped and a tiger disc was installed then there wouldn't be any iLife ... which is why Apple sell it seperately :)

Oh, and as said already iPhoto has got to be one of the best photo organisers out there for the mac, maybe it takes a bit of getting used to but all the advanced features are there if you look, on version 6 anyway :)

Associate
I've been digging around on this.

Elements3 (for Windows) introduced a new Organiser tool, which it integrated with the Photoshop Editing Tool (cut down version from the Photoshop codebase). This Organiser was built into Elements itself. Elements4 (for Windows) still maintains this system. This is what the original poster was talking about. I agree with him that its a very nice system once you get used to it.

Elements3 (for non-Intel Mac) introduced the same Photoshop Editing Tools (again same Photoshop codebase), but did not include the Organiser tool that Windows had.

Elements4 (for non-Intel Mac) came out a while after the Windows Version. Again, this version does not have the same Organiser tool that Windows version has, built into it, as the Mac development stream is seperate from the Windows one when it comes to Elements.
HOWEVER, what they did do was include a cut-down version of Adobe Bridge (Bridge is the management tool that comes with full Photoshop).
It seems that Bridge has some extra stuff in it compared to iPhoto. However, it doesn't seem to integrated fully into Elements4 and it works in a slightly difference way to Organiser in the Windows version.

There's some stuff about it over here.
http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/firstlooks/elements4/index.php
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2006/05/16/photoshop-elements4.html?page=1

Another thing to note. Elements4 is not a Universal Binary.

From what it seems iPhoto is pretty much there when it comes to photo management... but I would like to have a nice photo editor. Hmmm. May have to take a look at GIMP or whatever it's called.

... and what I really need is good RAW support.

Associate
OP
Had a good look at iPhoto and I think I'm beginning to get it now. Just a bit different to what I'm used to. The smart folders are really nice and extremely handy for what I need. Can't believe I was gonna give up on it because I thought it was too basic, there's more to it than meets the eye.

Back
Top Bottom