Comp Not Working Since Freezing!

Associate
My girlfriends family PC froze over the weekend and since then won't boot up again! The PC is a few years old & I think it was most likely heat related as the case is a small heavy metal type case with no case fans & often gets dusty & dirty inside.

When you turn the PC on now the power supply is still working and the heatsink fan spins, but thats about it! nothing else happens and the screen just sits there blinking as if it has no signal & it doesn't sound like the PC is booting up or anything

From my working PC I have tried changing componets such as the Hard Drive, Monitor, Graphics Card, Ram, IDE Cable etc but still nothing happens

If the PC gets too hot could it be possible that the CPU/mobo won't work again?

Soldato
the mobo could have died...

try the RAM , CPU, GPU and PSU in another computer to ensure they work...

if they do most definately gotta be the mobo died...

Even on dead mobos the fans spin and you get some lights on the mobo...

heat is basically your enemy and yes if it gets to hot inside you can kill components inside your pc...

good luck

Associate
OP
Thanks, but I don't fancy messing around with my computer too much just to test it

The worst job ever is trying to take the heaksink off as it won't come off without pushing the metal clip down hard which will prob crush the CPU in doing so

I think I will just say the motherboards dead & suggest...

1) New case with PSU included with more space and at least two fans
2) AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail

3) Could anyone suggest a decent AMS Socket 939 motherboard which I can still use an IDE Hard Drive on rather than SATA, although both would be good

Hopefully I can use the existing hard drive, GFX card, memory etc if they still work and keep cost to a minimum

Soldato
cool....

you will have to get the heatsink fan off to get to the cpu to put it into your new case

whats your budget for replacement components?

what do they use their pc for?

Associate
OP
I'm not gonna bother with the CPU & suggest...

1) Buy New case

2) Buy AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail

3) Buy New Mobo

Use Existing Graphics Card, Ram & Hard Drive - although if don't work will also need replacing

Could anyone suggest a decent AMD Socket 939 motherboard? which I can still use an IDE Hard Drive on rather than SATA, although both would be good as they already have a 160GB IDE Hard drive

Associate
Abit UL8 ULi M1689 (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-079-AB) Price: £27.95 (£32.84 Including VAT)

That should do what you need, IDE and sata, i assume your graphics card is AGP.

Associate
OP
Yes it is AGP

So for just over £100 does...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3000BPBOX) (CP-117-AM)

Abit UL8 ULi M1689 (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-079-AB)

Go together ok with...

Think the existing stuff is

RAM is DDR PC2700,
Hard drive is an IDE 160GB 7200rpm
Graphics I think is an AGP 8x GeforceFX card

Last edited:
Soldato
Phil_D_UK said:
Yes it is AGP

So for just over £100 does...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3000BPBOX) (CP-117-AM)

Abit UL8 ULi M1689 (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-079-AB)

Go together ok with...

Think the existing stuff is

RAM is DDR PC2700,
Hard drive is an IDE 160GB 7200rpm
Graphics I think is an AGP 8x GeforceFX card

The ram should work, but it will be running on a divider which will hurt perofmrance a little... though should be ok if she is doing no gaming or heavy work on it

Associate
OP
Dark_Angel said:
The ram should work, but it will be running on a divider which will hurt perofmrance a little... though should be ok if she is doing no gaming or heavy work on it

What do u mean by running on a divider?

Would it be better to pay abit more for the..

AMD Athlon 64 3000 Retail / Abit UL8 / 512MB GeIL Value PC3200 Dual Channel Kit - Bundle (BU-046-OK)

ajm

ajm

Associate
It could be as simple as a dead PSU causing it not to boot which could be replaced for around the £40 mark.

ajm

ajm

Associate
Yes i did see what you posted but if it is failing then this is what it would possibly be doing if it couldn't supply a constant voltage.

Back
Top Bottom