Cost of a clutch ?

Associate
I think the clutch in my Mondeo is starting to go the bite is right at the top of the pedal and gear changes are getting juddery. How much is it to get a clutch fitted ?

I mighjt stick it in for a service and get clutch done at the same time.

Soldato
I think it's a big job, in that either the engine has to be unbolted from subframe or whole gearbox dropped or something for access. Check on Meg there will be more info there.

£350 I reckon.

Soldato
DezUk said:
coming up for 110k

Forget the clutch then.. engine is gonna go pop soon so just bin it and get a new one. Will be cheaper than a new clutch :)

I live in fear in my household.. two v6 mondeos.. one on 98k and the other on 84k.. like living sat on a timebomb.

Soldato
DezUk said:
Errr

That sounds a bit drastic ho can you come to that conclusion ?

Well an St24 with 110k these days is probably worth around £1200. Whip the wheels, bodykit and other bits out to swap to a newer one and you may find it's cheaper just to buy a new one :)

Associate
OP
Hmmm this is starting to scare me

I dont wanna get rid of my car I just got it the way i want it :(

I'll test the clutch theory first and start worrying from there

Soldato
DezUk said:
Hmmm this is starting to scare me

I dont wanna get rid of my car I just got it the way i want it :(

I'll test the clutch theory first and start worrying from there

Don't fret.. i'm being flippant. While it's true they are worthless these days if you like it and you know the car it's probably worth getting the clutch done if needed. Just bear in mind if you aint done much else to the car the cat may be needing looked at as well as the suspension and a host of other bits that start to shrivel up and die at those sort of mileages :)

Associate
I presume yours is an ST24, I don't know what they are like to do a clutch on but I do know that on the 4 cylinder petrol you have to (in most cases) drop one side of the subframe down to be able to move the gearbox back enough. I would presume it's a similar operation on the V6. I have an ST24 on 99k, luckily mine seems ok! :)

Associate
OP
Hmm well i will check the clutch after work using the technique that 6th Element suggested and if the engine revs i will look into getting the clutch replaced. Just hope i can get it done and sorted for the rolling road thats coming up.

I will report back with how it responds, heres hoping :rolleyes:

ajm

ajm

Associate
I dont wanna get rid of my car I just got it the way i want it

You could always see if there is any adjustment left on the clutch to give you a bit longer before having to replace it.

Man of Honour
pinkaardvark said:
Well an St24 with 110k these days is probably worth around £1200.

I wish - if they were cheap I'd have one just for a laugh, the only ST24's you'll be finding for £1200 are saloon versions with no RSAP, early 97 examples with 150k on the clock, or shabby ones.

Even with 110k on it a decent 2000W such as Dez's is going to fetch around £2500 perhaps even more.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
I wish - if they were cheap I'd have one just for a laugh, the only ST24's you'll be finding for £1200 are saloon versions with no RSAP, early 97 examples with 150k on the clock, or shabby ones.

Even with 110k on it a decent 2000W such as Dez's is going to fetch around £2500 perhaps even more.
(Sorry to thread hijack, Dez, but I thought this better than just making a new thread for one question!)
How much would you see mine at then Fox? I'm looking to get rid of it soon, probably eBay it, but I wasn't sure what to put the reserve at.
It's an R reg '97, no RSAP, saloon, 99.5k on the clock, I think the colours State blue (might be wrong), it's a dark metallic blue anyway.
Everything works, just had the aircon gassed up, new fan regulator (so it works on alll speeds, not just full power :p ), just been MOT'd a few weeks ago. Engine bay's nice and clean, the IMRC works as well. One or two scratches on the paintwork, nothing worth talking about. 7000 headunit but no CD changer. £1400 perhaps? :confused:

Dez, I think the other way you can test the clutch is to put it in 5th at standstill and drop the clutch, if it slips it slips, if it stalls the engine then it's good. :)

Associate
OP
Well on the way home rom work i did a steady 30 and stuck her in 5th and there was drive, all be slowly but it did drive and ick up from 30. Maybe there is life in it but I just dont want it failing me on the trip down south next week.

Back
Top Bottom