Stinking Bishop

Associate
The 'recommend me some cheese' thread over in music has got me thinking about the real thing.
I've always wanted to try some of that 'stinking bishop' cheese. Does anyone know if they sell it at supermarkets or is it the kind of cheese you can only buy in particular places.
Also, can anyone recommend some nice strong (preferrably non-soft) cheeses to go on my crackers?

Soldato
sist_si said:
The 'recommend me some cheese' thread over in music has got me thinking about the real thing.
I've always wanted to try some of that 'stinking bishop' cheese. Does anyone know if they sell it at supermarkets or is it the kind of cheese you can only buy in particular places.
Also, can anyone recommend some nice strong (preferrably non-soft) cheeses to go on my crackers?

I like Davidstow cheddar... It's not amazingly strong, but it is a full lovely flavour.

I like it on Krackerwheat crackers!

:)

almost as good as Fishfingers with Krackerwheat crackers.

Associate
i worked in a restaurant who served stinking bishop on the cheese board
after three weeks and almost 100 complaints from other diners we took it off :)

it smells stronger than it tastes
i love cheese like that - pungent and oozing :D

Associate
OP
goldilocks said:
i worked in a restaurant who served stinking bishop on the cheese board
after three weeks and almost 100 complaints from other diners we took it off :)

it smells stronger than it tastes
i love cheese like that - pungent and oozing :D

That's why i'm so interested in trying it. I like nice strong cheese and that seems to be the daddy of strong cheeses from what i've heard.
I'll deffo check out some of the others people have mentioned though!

Soldato
St Agur or Rochefort are very nice, as is a good (unpasteurised if possible) stilton. Remember when I was in Wellington, Somerset going to a cheese shop with 24 month matured chedder. Blew me blooming head off :D

PFG

PFG

Associate
snowdonian cheese company have 1 called red devil

I personally aint tried that 1 but the whiskey hinted cheese is . .

• G
    E
    O
    R
    G
    E
    O
    U
    S

Soldato
sist_si said:

I work as a chef, last year we got a chuckle(sp) of stinking bishop from a supplier (northern select), stuck it in the big walk in fridge, latrer on, opened the fridge door and the fridge stunk to high heaven, smelled like there were 1000 sweaty stinking socks in there haha, taste wise, it was suprisingly ok though.

Soldato
Im quite partial Colliers Welsh mature cheddar. Very creamy and it has an almost sweet taste to it.

Something a bit milder is stilton with cranberries or apricot

Back
Top Bottom