• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

80ºC too hot for a P4?

Soldato
Just wondering if 80ºC is a tad hot for a pre built-P4 pc. I'm pretty sure there will be next to no thermal compound left on the di and the hsf needs sorting.. But this is getting to the extreme in terms of heat surely?

Man of Honour
It's getting very close to thermal throttling levels, so yes, I would definitely say it's too hot.

IIRC a P4 throttles at 85oC

Soldato
OP
Christ.. I think it's skt478.. Is that right? The temp was measured in bios after a restart. All the pc was doing before the restart was browsing the internet..

Soldato
naffa:

Just wondering if 80ºC is a tad hot for a pre built-P4 pc

Certainly is....and then some!

I have both Northwood & Prescott CPUs (3.4 & 3.2 respectively), and they both idle around 35C or lower. :)

Soldato
OP
Lol, just as I thought. It has a ridiculous fan guard which I'll be removing, I'll be placing an extractor fan on the back and re-seating the CPU in some fresh thermal compound. If the crazilly high temps persist then I'll be back for help from the trusy OcUK Forums.

Associate
my P4E 3.2 prescott idles at 50 and runs flat at 70ish and that is the hottest running CPU ever to hit the market as the LGA775s were a bit more efficient, but 80 is too high but still within warranty!

Soldato
There is a chance your temp sensor is faulty. Mine reports my temp as about 20c higher then it is and its hit 104c+ before.

Load up throttle watch and see if it goes off at 80c. If its not throttling its ok and its your temp sensor that’s wrong. Also your bios should how the temps a little higher then in windows.

Last edited:
Associate
Pottsey said:
There is a chance your temp sensor is faulty. Mine reports my temp as about 20c higher then it is and its hit 104c+ before.

Load up throttle watch and see if it goes off at 80c. If its not throttling its ok and its your temp sensor that’s wrong. Also your bios should how the temps a little higher then in windows.
If the chip uses the sensor to establish whether it needs to throttle, then if the sensor is faulty it will throttle at 80 on the sensor, not the real 80 degrees.

axe

axe

Suspended
Mine socket 478 Northwood 3.0ghz HT runs at 55 idle but goes all the way up to 79 on Load So thers sometihng wrong with mine as well

Abz

Abz

Associate
Doesnt it depent on the cooling fan and case temp? :confused:

Try to leave the case open and see what happens, see if the temp drops.

Last edited:
Soldato
naffa said:
Lol, just as I thought. It has a ridiculous fan guard which I'll be removing, I'll be placing an extractor fan on the back and re-seating the CPU in some fresh thermal compound. If the crazilly high temps persist then I'll be back for help from the trusy OcUK Forums.
Is it a Dell PC? A lot of Dells have a plastic shroud around the heatsink which ducts air to an exhaust fan at the rear of the case.

langa_09.jpg

If the shroud is damaged or not fitted correctly, there may be no airflow over the heatsink which would explain the 80c.

Associate
Mine idles at 55-60c and reaches 70c whilst in games, but I also think theres something wrong with it. But then again aslong as everything runs okay I dont really care.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Dolph said:
It's getting very close to thermal throttling levels, so yes, I would definitely say it's too hot.

IIRC a P4 throttles at 85oC

Next to spot on, according to throttlwatch and my mobbo my chip throttles at 87c.

But i would hazard a guess that proper throttling temp is 85c and the extra 2c comes from my mobbo, lol.

Associate
anything below a prescot will have approx 70C throttle point, regardless of what throttlewatch displays. Remove the HSF and power the machine on, look in the BIOS and your temp should be pretty much 70C.

Wise Guy
Soldato
kleox64 said:
anything below a prescot will have approx 70C throttle point, regardless of what throttlewatch displays. Remove the HSF and power the machine on, look in the BIOS and your temp should be pretty much 70C.

Well said, considering mines IS a prescott.

Back
Top Bottom