Name the car compony you hate the most.

Associate
People shouldn't take personal offence to any of the comments in the thread if your car or manufacturer are mentioned. A lot of peoples "pet hates" are based on their own opinions, they can be well judged or completely irrational.

I for one, find vauxhall and Renault particularly insulting.

Vauxhall don't make a single good car thats not really from someone else, although the Zafira and latest Astra was a step in the right direction. I find the corsa particularly insulting.

Renault, it's harder to put my finger on. I just don't like their style, and their rubbish electronic gizmos. Granted the renault clio hot hatches might be good, but they still have a distinctly Renaulty feel to them which i dislike.

Soldato
I don't particularly hate any car make as each make has some crap models.

But I do not like the fact that every pug or renault I have ever driven seems to have an inherant rattle coming from somewhere (especially the clio sunroof).

I would have to say though I despise the dealers of some car makes more than the cars themselves. Mercedes / BMW and to some extent audi dealers all seem to be smug smart asses intent on trying to prove why their cras are worth the extra 5k or so over another make due to the badge.

Permabanned
Firestar_3x said:
Don't agree with the plow through anything point, the ratings are partially based on load impact of a dummy and what injuries your likely to suffer based on that given impact, simply making the car ridged to withstand hitting a block won't work since the load will be transferred to the occupants, the skill is controlling the energy and channelling it around the structure of the car so it can absorb and disperse as much as possible without it impacting upon the occupants.

Saying its easy to make a 5* NCAP car is wrong, if this was the case every new car would be 5*.

The Clio is a great handling car its not all about a small car with a huge engine, fair enough it might not be built as well as a Honda but its a highly rated car by all the mags that count.

Which is again why NCAP ratings are (for all intense and purposes) rather useless.

You see (and i cant blame them), NCAP testing uses Dummies. Dummies are meant to represent the damage to a human in the event of an accident. But the results from NCAP would bear no resemblance to the actual effect on the human body. You see, dummies are relaxed upon the impact of the car whereas humans do not relax, they tense up (brace) for the impact which causes far more injuries than any crash test dummy will encounter. All NCAP shows is HOW WELL a car protects its occupants, but even with the above this can still be misleading.

Add to that that to get from NCAP rating 4 to NCAP rating 5 you probably only need to incorporate a 'seatbelt not on' warning, and you get the picture!

Caporegime
Depends if its a boarderline case, what people don't seem to get is you have active and passive safety systems, so its not just the airbags and crumple zones that keep you safe, so the rest must be tested and reflected upon.

Also this dummy situation, yes i agree with the tense at a crash situation but all cars are tested in the same situation using the same dummys so all the results are relative to each other, regardless of the test medium you can still identify which car is safer, and thats all the test is about for me, knowing which car will keep me safest.

Soldato
Oracle said:
Which is again why NCAP ratings are (for all intense and purposes) rather useless.

You see (and i cant blame them), NCAP testing uses Dummies. Dummies are meant to represent the damage to a human in the event of an accident. But the results from NCAP would bear no resemblance to the actual effect on the human body. You see, dummies are relaxed upon the impact of the car whereas humans do not relax, they tense up (brace) for the impact which causes far more injuries than any crash test dummy will encounter. All NCAP shows is HOW WELL a car protects its occupants, but even with the above this can still be misleading.

Add to that that to get from NCAP rating 4 to NCAP rating 5 you probably only need to incorporate a 'seatbelt not on' warning, and you get the picture!

I think you are being overly cynical there...
granted its not 100% indicative, but through NCAP / Manufacturers, they now design impact zones to dissipate energy over time, and divert it around the passenger cell..
The Dummies do show intrusion damage, and have accelerometers to determine the forces imparted upon them, this gives a bloody good guestimate to the actual damage a real person would sustain..
The dummies are not completely relaxed are they? I though there where limb loading tensions applied to simulate some muscle load?

What you are saying is that if you made a car out of a concrete block, and this didn't bend at all, it would receive a 5 star NCAP rating?? I don't think so...

Soldato
i hate bmw mercedes and porsce the most all the seem too do with there cars is keep the body shape exactly the shape but for a little tweaks.They do make good engines and chassis but body desigh is really bland after about 20 years.

BMW have changed their designs radically with every new generation so im not sure what your on about.

Soldato
Sone said:
externally e36 and e46 look very similar imho

I think the late e36 and early e46's could look quite similar, but facelift e46 is very different to the e36 imo.

Also the e46 is a Bangle design.

Soldato
gurdas said:
Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about? CLS55/SLK55 boat like? 'Stupid' supercharger providing instant performance with no lag? 'Overtorqued' engines? Auto tranny which is classed as the smoothest in the world....does that really get on your nerves? Statistics show that a Mercedes can be so calming that it reduces stress levels compared to all its rivals.....yes now I can see how it would get on your nerves....:p

I dont like them casue even when you turn electronics off....they are still on. I dont wanna know a computer just stopped the engine making a million pounds of torque and trying to put me in a ditch. The clk65 or whatever its called doesnt get to 60 quicker than any other merc cause it cant put the power down :(

Its putting big heavy engines in too small a car and so on. As i said they arent my type of car,but i would happily cruise up and down motorways in an S55 AMG ;) and have my M5 for weekends.

Mercs i do like are the clk dtm and the clk lm/clr lm/clk gtr...the one with the big wing not with it built into the body.

Soldato
Hate is a bit too strong and it's not a brand thing for me. The only car that I don't particularly like is the Citroen saxo, plain, boring and flimsy.

The reasons-

1. I couldn't get my foot onto the clutch pedal properly, I ended up with my foot on the metal rod at the top of the pedal when I was changing gear.

2. The dash is very plain, it's like someone thought we need a bit of plastic here to put switches on but didn't spend any amount of time designing it.

3. Horrible air vents. The fan sounds like the damn thing is about to take off but there's not even a breeze coming through the vents (this wasn't limited to the one I drove either).

4. No central console with the gear leaver and handbrake going through holes in the carpet, cheap.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Don't agree with the plow through anything point, the ratings are partially based on load impact of a dummy and what injuries your likely to suffer based on that given impact, simply making the car ridged to withstand hitting a block won't work since the load will be transferred to the occupants, the skill is controlling the energy and channelling it around the structure of the car so it can absorb and disperse as much as possible without it impacting upon the occupants.

Saying its easy to make a 5* NCAP car is wrong, if this was the case every new car would be 5*.

It's all nice and works in theory until you put it into real world test. Once again, Fifth Gear Grand Espace crashes spring to mind. Not only on crash it kills everyone in old Espace but in head on collision quite happily amalgamates Land Rover's engine into back seats. To me this is quite clearly a sign Renault's 5 stars is not earned by multilple cell crumple zone and impact force pressure release technoques but simply building stiffer frame around the cabin that will move forward upon kinetic force and kill the other party on impact rather than shake the dummies in the cabin. Look at this mess, and it's not that Land rover frame is so weak, you can hand couple of tons off a cliff on it...
s9e2_crashtest_top_3_400.jpg

Caporegime
NCAP is based purely on a scoring system, each catagory is scored on points based on what the occupants will experience during a 'standard' set of crash simulations. Then there is the bonus points for things like seatbelt warnings.

Don't worry about vehicle structure, amount of crumple zones etc as these are not measured.

Soldato
Vauxhall.

Breakdown of there most common cars:

Nova - Stipulates the whole idea of boy racers/chavs. Can look ok rally slagged up, but the image that goes with them and the mofos that drive them make them hate worthy.

Corsa - Always look really high and gash. Usualy seen with stupid 15" alloy wheels that never fit the arch properly.

Astra - Underpowered olds mobile for the ricer with negative style levels.

Calibra - Looked upto within the ricer scene but nothing more than a wanna be sporty car.

Cavalier - Just crap.

Soldato
Jonny ///M said:
I dont like them casue even when you turn electronics off....they are still on. I dont wanna know a computer just stopped the engine making a million pounds of torque and trying to put me in a ditch.

Eh? If it stops you from putting it in a ditch surely it's a good thing? What I find interesting is how you know the car reacts in different states at 17.......watching too much top gear I think;)

Jonny ///M said:
The clk65 or whatever its called doesnt get to 60 quicker than any other merc cause it cant put the power down :(

You are referring to the CL65 and yes it does get to 60 quicker than other Mercs.

Jonny ///M said:
Its putting big heavy engines in too small a car and so on. As i said they arent my type of car,but i would happily cruise up and down motorways in an S55 AMG ;) and have my M5 for weekends.

Why would you need a S55 AMG just to cruise up and down motorways when a 320 cdi will do? You are missing the point of the car. You were talking about your 'apparent' dislike of electronics controlling the car yet you mention you'd have an M5 for the weekend...?;)

Back
Top Bottom