Network Attached Storage

Soldato
Thinking about getting a NAS drive in the near future, and have been looking at the 250GB models that Lacie & Freecom do.

Anybody here have experience with these drives, and are they easy to set up?

I assume after a bit of configuring they just appear as a normal HDD in 'My Computer'?

Ta :)

Soldato
Nismo said:
Thinking about getting a NAS drive in the near future, and have been looking at the 250GB models that Lacie & Freecom do.

Anybody here have experience with these drives, and are they easy to set up?

I assume after a bit of configuring they just appear as a normal HDD in 'My Computer'?

Ta :)

I would have thought theyd show up as a network drive :D But yeah it should be in your My Computer.

I am interested myself in a NAS but debating whether it would be easier [read: cheaper] to get a small file server tucked away somewhere.

SiriusB

Associate
Looking at the Lacie & Freecom it looks like it requires client software in order to be able to access it over a network.

A small server would be a way but needs a moderately decent box to run on, open to viral infection etc.

Another route is to use an old box and put FreeNAS on it. Linux based, no client software required, works on almost anything. I've got one here and it's pretty good.

Soldato
OP
Aye it seems both drives require software which is a bit of a pain. Definitely not going down the route of a file server or separate box though, not got the room for one, however small.

Actually considering just getting a normal USB external HDD instead, as it will do roughly the same job and work out cheaper anyway.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
nas

Just to re assure you you do not need external software to run the lacie box as nas, just plug it in to your network ethernet and set it up via your browser, I did it in three mins its verry easy to use, plus it has usb as well so you can use it as stand alone external as well

ERU

ERU

Associate
This might be an olption too >>> Netgear Storage Central

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/SC101.php

Key Benefits

* Store your files, music, video, games, photos, and financial records in one central location, accessible as a letter drive
* Share files easily with everyone on the network, while keeping your personal files private
* Safeguard your valuable files by keeping real time duplicate copies – automatically, effortlessly. Advanced backup software is included
* Setup and configuration are a breeze with Smart Wizard™!

Soldato
there are routers etc coming out now ( may have been available for a while I dont know) which have usb slots for this very reason I believe - only because with the usage of a couple of PC's and a x360 etc etc netowrk ports might become a little scarce on the router)

edit -- using a router is always beneficial in my eyes also due to the fact this is always powered up, sometimes there are times when the main pc is switched off etc and you still want access to the drive without hassle of installing on another pc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom