Could you do this.

Soldato
I'm probably around 20-25 units a week at the moment. I *could* quit, but I wouldnt want to. (Alcohol's good, thats why I drink it ;)) Having said that, if there was a serious medical reason then I dont think it would be particularly hard to stop.

There seem way too many teetotals in here compared to.. well, my friends I suppose. There are only two or three out of the 25-odd in our 'crowd'

Associate
cymatty said:
Ok before i start this is not a medical thread so don't go there. :p

Ok i have been advised by my doctor that i should cut down my alcohol consumption, or even better not drink at all for a few months.

Now OCUK could you give up drink for 12-16 week? :eek:

LOL funny how you should ask that, I was talking to a customer about this the other week.

Someone made a comment, during my Friday nightshift in a petrol station about how I could work every Friday nightshift, and not be out getting drunk. I simply replied "I see the after effects of drinking every Fri night - I see the prats it makes people, the violent tempers, and the sick - its enough to put me off drinking much for life."

I find I have drunk much much less since starting to work the nightshifts - to the point where I may have a beer every 2 weeks or so - just 1 bottle of beer, or 1 pint of shandy.

Soldato
cymatty said:

Ok i have been advised by my doctor that i should cut down my alcohol consumption, or even better not drink at all for a few months.

I'm teetotal and plan to stay that way.

Soldato
Tonight was the last night I'm going to drink until I start my training (37 days time), and I'm pretty sure I won't get much of an opportunity to drink for many weeks after that - so, yeah, I think I could go without drink.

Man of Honour
Neon said:
if you cant stop drinking for 12-16 week you have problems enough said.

Agreed.

But I think people's definitions of drinking are different. A glass of wine from time to time weekly isn't what i'd call drinking. Even drinking a whole bottle of wine over a week I wouldn't consider drinking - if anything it's probably good for you.

However constantly reaching your maximum or exceeding your maximum unit consumption EVERY week is not so good IMO. I probably have the equivalent of the weekly maximum a month on average... except when I go to meets or parties of course ;) But the occaisional bit of indulgence isn't a bad thing - if you don't go OTT of course!

Don't get me wrong I do like a good tipple - heck I love it. However I'm very much in control of it. I haven't been ill owing to alcohol for over 7 years.

Permabanned
If your doctor is saying stop, I'd just do it.
....I'm NOT saying this relates to you at all, but I know of a binge alcoholic,
nobody realises the emotional fallout from such an addition, her family is just destroyed.
I used to like the odd beer, but after seeing it close up...... not now.

Soldato
Si, if the doctor has said to cut down, then I'd cut down.

I used to drink almost every night of the week... not loads, but 4 cans.

I just decided that I was spending too much money on alcohol and it was getting me down. I'd wake up in the morning feeling groggy and wouldn't do any work during the day.

I now only drink at weekends (unless I'm out with you in the week :p) and feel much happier for it. It's also something to look forward to and tastes much better if you don't have it all of the time.

Soldato
In early 2005, and during my Uni years, I don't think it would have been possible not to drink for 12-16 weeks. Since about late last year, yes. It seems to be something I've grown out of.

Caporegime
cymatty said:

Yes alcohol is overrated imho, tastes like utter crap and makes you feel like utter crap.....

Permabanned
cymatty said:

Easily, wouldn't even notice.

Back
Top Bottom