SMART Roadster - Yay or Nay?

Caporegime
4Car said:
Mazda's MX-5 may have been little changed since 1989, bar the deletion of the cute pop-up headlamps and a few specification upgrades along the way, but it still feels as fresh as ever. That's partly because its styling is timeless, partly because it was such a good car in the first place, and partly because Mazda has thankfully resisted the temptation to mess with a winning formula. The latest major round of improvements was in September 2001, when engines gained a little more power, the body was strengthened, safety equipment upgraded and the suspension refined, besides the minor restyle.

The current MX-5 range consists of 1.6i (110bhp), 1.8i (146bhp) and 1.8i Sport models, the latter with a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox, and Mazda usually has a special edition model or two on the go with plush upholstery and extra kit. UK buyers will not be offered the hard-top Coupe version on sale in Japan, nor the American Mazdaspeed Turbo version. The MX-5 - known as the Roadster in Japan and the Miata in the States - is a popular import; if you're not buying a brand new car from a Mazda dealer, then make sure you know what you're getting, and the specification is what you want, though these days the Japanese cars are rust-proofed as well as the Europe-specific versions. But wherever you source your MX-5, it'll be good value, and even greater fun.

Mazda's MX-5 may have been little changed since 1989, bar the deletion of the cute pop-up headlamps and a few specification upgrades along the way, but it still feels as fresh as ever. That's partly because its styling is timeless, partly because it was such a good car in the first place, and partly because Mazda has thankfully resisted the temptation to mess with a winning formula. The latest major round of improvements was in September 2001, when engines gained a little more power, the body was strengthened, safety equipment upgraded and the suspension refined, besides the minor restyle.

The current MX-5 range consists of 1.6i (110bhp), 1.8i (146bhp) and 1.8i Sport models, the latter with a close-ratio six-speed manual gearbox, and Mazda usually has a special edition model or two on the go with plush upholstery and extra kit. UK buyers will not be offered the hard-top Coupe version on sale in Japan, nor the American Mazdaspeed Turbo version. The MX-5 - known as the Roadster in Japan and the Miata in the States - is a popular import; if you're not buying a brand new car from a Mazda dealer, then make sure you know what you're getting, and the specification is what you want, though these days the Japanese cars are rust-proofed as well as the Europe-specific versions. But wherever you source your MX-5, it'll be good value, and even greater fun.

Sports cars like these are rarely road rockets - they're too blustery for that - but the revised 1.8 engine gives the MX-5 plenty of eagerly delivered zip, which it serves with far better manners now. The 7500 rpm rev limit remains, but the engine sounds willing and a lot smoother now. It'll hit 62mph in 8.4 seconds and top 129mph when kitted with the six-speed gearbox that comes with the Sport package. The 1.6 motor is unchanged, which means less refinement than with the 1.8 and less power too, although it's a perky performer. The five-speed 1.8, incidentally, is fractionally slower than the six-speed, for gearing reasons.

parkers said:
Summary
Pretty much every manufacturer builds a convertible and it was the MX-5 that got us all back into drop-tops in the first place. With rear-wheel drive and sharp, responsive handling, it's fun to drive although it's not hugely powerful. Being a Mazda, it's also superbly reliable and well-engineered. If you're after a fun car then make sure you stick this on your list of possibilities.

Behind The Wheel
The dash of the MX-5 is cleanly styled, with controls laid out in a clear, logical manner. Some of the controls are beginning to look a little dated, but it only adds to the MX-5 charm. Good driving position for backroad blasts or motorway jaunts, with supportive seats and a great pedal layout. It's all rather simple but very in keeping with the Mazda's ethos of simple fun. A glass rear screen is a real boon on damper day (it won't perish or become discoloured like Perspex, either).

Comfort
Only two seats of course, but they are shapely and supportive and the snug cockpit is big enough for most to get comfortable. There's plenty of wind noise with the hood up and plenty of buffeting with it down. If you've got the roof down when you're on the dual carriageway, you'll be shouting at your passenger. Air conditioning isn't standard - surprising considering the list price - which can be irritating on damp days or in the winter, when the cabin becomes damp.

Equipment
Limited editions offer higher spec levels, although don't be tricked into paying much extra for them. Sport model gets the best bit of kit - a close-ratio, six-speed gearbox. Alloy wheels aren't even standard on the base model but it's still fun.

Performance
You've got two to choose from: a 110bhp 1.6 and a 146bhp 1.8. If you just want cheap wind-in-the-hair fun then the 1.6 will do, but the bigger engine makes it more of a sportscar. Both are rev-happy and offer enough power to make the daily trip to work a lot more appealing. Sport version also gets a six-speed gearbox. The ratios are well-spaced, but it can be to easy to select the wrong gear at speed.

Handling
A stiff, rear-driven chassis makes for classic sportscar driving with lots of feedback through all the controls. It offers pure driving sensations rather than outright speed. MX-5's tight proportions makes it a breeze to park - either with the roof up or down - and it's easy to drive in town. Ride is good over most surfaces, comfortable on the motorway and only caught out by the biggest ruts and potholes.

Practicality
There's some useful storage space in the cabin area and a boot that is particularly big for a roadster. Lowering the roof is simplicity itself: just unlock two clips and throw it back. Tonneau cover requires rather more effort - there are too many clips to put in place. Roof reduces the storage space a little. Glovebox big enough for the owner's handbook - and that's about it.

Reliability
The MX-5 was first launched in 1990, since when it has proven to be incredibly reliable with problems being few and far between. The revised model from 1998 is proving to be equally well-built.

Safety
Driver and passenger airbags are standard but side bags aren't even an option. Traction control is only fitted to some models. Four star Euro NCAP crash safety rating is very good for a roadster and the usual security features are also fitted. Fabric roofs will always invite the opportunist thief, so keep your valuables well hidden. The boot and petrol cap release levers are kept in a lockable compartment for added security when the roof it down.

Cost
Genuine UK cars hold their value better than the imports and insurance is lower, too. Servicing and fuel consumption are also very good so it's a cost effective proposition.

Buying Used
Be aware that a great many are Japanese imports with uncertain histories and different specifications - often offering higher specs but lacking undersea and not tuned for British roads.

Selling
A good clean UK model MX-5 with full service history will always find a new home although these things sell better in the sunnier months.

Now not read it all but the 0-60 is right if you get the 1.8i, which has 130bhp but if you get the 1.8iS this has 140bhp and does it in 7.7ish, i've had 7.8, the 146bhp version does it in the same time, prolly due to the 6 speed box.

Last edited:
Soldato
rpstewart said:
I would check out your local petrol stations too. I work with a guy who has one and it apparantly only runs on 99RON petrol and he has a heck of a time finding places to fill up.

ah yes forgot about that. Very true, they can only run on 99RON. Which is a pain for example on xmas eve when all the shells have no optimax, and you have no idea where the nearest BP is which sells ultima.

Associate
OP
Well I took it for a test drive today...

...and fell in love with it.

It's a Smart Roadster 0.7 Coupe Cabriolet (81BHP version, not the lower value 61BHP) with 22000 miles on the clock.
It's LHD with both Full and Semi Automatic via either Paddles or Gearstick and has a full Service History with Merc. Also included is a JVC CD Player which looked quite swish.

They had it on sale for £6995 with Free Insurance (which just meant 7 day's worth of free insurance).

After a bit of bantering I got them down to £6500 with New MOT/Service and One Years RAC Warranty included.

After consulting my Dad and a few others I decided this was a good offer and put down £500 deposit and arranged to pick up the car on Wednesday afternoon :D (after signing all the relevant documents tomorrow of course).

It was a beauty to drive. It did take a while before I got used to driving an Automatic, but within a minute or so it felt natural. The LHD doesn't phase me in the slightest, I actually felt I could judge distances better.

I REALLY can't wait til Wednesday now!

Last edited:
Soldato
Its LHD? Doesnt that mean import, which almost guarantee's your insurance will be VERY high, regardless of engine size??

I would get some quotes to see what it will cost when the free year is up.

Associate
OP
As far as I know, most Smarts are LHD, RHD ones are rare.

I know this one isn't an import anyway as it's an Ex-Display car from Mercedes Watford which do Smart cars. I have its full history.

Man of Honour
Big huge
icon14.gif
from me.

Gordon Murray has one alongside his McLaren F1 so.... ;)

Bloody good fun to drive and perfectly sensible. Would buy the Coupe though - looks better.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
OP
Flibster said:
Big huge
icon14.gif
from me.

Gordon Murray has one alongside his McLaren F1 so.... ;)

Bloody good fun to drive and perfectly sensible. Would buy the Coupe though - looks better.

Simon/~Flibster

It is the Coupe, the Roof goes back then you can take the two Window bars off like a convertable. :D

ob1 said:
So is that the 80bhp version?

Yes it is.

Here's a picture of it...

Last edited:
Soldato
Spike_UK said:
As far as I know, most Smarts are LHD, RHD ones are rare.

Not true, the first set that came into the country were LHD. Thereafter they are all RHD. I would think the LHD ones are rarer now.
Hope you have loads of fun with it.
Big thumbs up for the colour scheme as well :D

ah I miss 'er

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you get them to throw in the blow dryer and Vidal Sassoon styling kit? :D

I guess if you are happy with it that's the bottom line, but IMO they are patheticly underpowered plastic pigs with an appaling gearbox. Probably why Smart stopped making them last year.

The engine appears to be mounted on elastic bands as well; I follow one into work on a regular basis and everytime it accelerates the tail pipes visibly point downwards and then spring back up again when it changes gear, quite comical really.

Associate
OP
It's all MINE! :D

I've had churning stomach and butterflies all day, but I've now signed all the papers and the car is legally mine.
All that's left is for a quick Valet tomorrow then it's mine to pickup Wednesday after work.

I can't wait!

Soldato
Spike_UK said:

I've had churning stomach and butterflies all day, but I've now signed all the papers and the car is legally mine.
All that's left is for a quick Valet tomorrow then it's mine to pickup Wednesday after work.

I can't wait!

Good one mate, Now drive it like you stole it!!! :cool:

Soldato
The only thing that would bother me about LHD is the fact you won't be able to overtake people very easily on single lane roads as you can't see whats coming.....

Caporegime
Serj said:
The only thing that would bother me about LHD is the fact you won't be able to overtake people very easily on single lane roads as you can't see whats coming.....

Yep, its bad enough in a RHD low to the floor car since i can't see through the car windows infront that easy and if its a van or truck things start to get really interesting :p

Associate
Spike_UK said:

I can't wait!

Nice one! Enjoy it, looks like a fun drive :cool:

Back
Top Bottom