25% of Parents Steal Money from their Kids, Survey Finds

Man of Honour
In a survey released Wednesday, one in four parents in Australia routinely take money belonging to their children, with mothers doing so over twice as often as fathers. Despite this, 90% of parents still say they are setting good financial examples.

Paul Vivian, head of retail deposits for fund management firm Bankwest said "if you can't find any money, you know the one place you can always rely on is the kids' piggy banks. But my wife always makes sure I put it back -- with interest."

One in five of respondents said the money was used for essentials, and one in six used it for luxury items. The Reserve Bank of Australia says the survey falls in line with their findings that parents spend more than they earn.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060621...KTxS47tiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

I know its Australia but it must happen here too.
I know my mum used to borrow my money but she would tell me.
Do you find your money gone?

Soldato
My parents still ask me for money despite supposedly disowning me some years ago...although I make sure I get it back in a timely fashion. Usually only a few quid anyway.

Permabanned
My daughter takes my coins out of my trousers and sticks them in her piggy bank. Grrrrrr, she learnt that habit from her mother ... grrrrrrr

Associate
Nope. Mine would never steal from me. But my mum often borrows the odd £10 here and there, but pays me back (rather, deducts it from the money I always seem to be owing her). :)

Associate
VIRII said:
My daughter takes my coins out of my trousers and sticks them in her piggy bank. Grrrrrr, she learnt that habit from her mother ... grrrrrrr

if she is anything like mine she rejects the copper and goes straight for the pounds! am i right? ;)

Man of Honour
OP
VIRII said:

Mine are 19 and 17 and still doing it.
I always leave anything lower than a 50p on the table and they all magically vanish.

Soldato
keef said:
if she is anything like mine she rejects the copper and goes straight for the pounds! am i right? ;)

At least you know shes learnt the value of money :D

Luckily I'm a student and don't have any money so I'm safe for now. But I know my mum is very unreliable with money so I'd never give her a loan or anything because she probably wouldn't pay me back. She doesn't let me help her with her finances so I think I'm justified not to give her big loans in future.

Soldato
Money dissapears in my house, sometimes it's my money (£6 dissapeared off my table today :() but more often it's my bro's or parents! :D

Money isn't really a big thing between us. :)

Soldato
nealw said:
i was speaking to a mate at uni about this, he's a 22 year old guy and still steals money from his old mans wallet. i was like :eek: :eek:

Never stole money from ma dads wallet. I have taken the odd couple of quid from ma mums purse though.....i tell her though as she always just tells me to do that if i ask her. She gets the benefit of usin my card to buy stuff online and paying me that back and i give her money when she needs it/buying her lunch. ;)

Soldato
When we were little if my Dad gives me or my sister money to buy something (were it be for him, Mum or us) then we keep the change. He learnt quite early to give us just what we needed but it was fun when he only had notes to buy a paper! :D These days I end up buying most things for both myself and my parents (they both suffer from health problems and are unable to work) so it doesn't really happen anymore.

I have to virtually fight with my Mum to take a penny off me though as she always says she didn't raise us to look after her, she raised us to look after ourselves. :)

Soldato
I am a spoilt only child, so although not technically stealing, in theory I will own my parents thousands of pounds down to the things they have bought me or whatever. Woo.

Soldato
Psyk said:
To be fair if I had any money for them to take, it could be considered repayments for all the money I've borrowed off them over the years.

Ugh tell me about it. I let my mother borrow 200 quid a few years ago so she could pay off a credit card bill. A few weeks later upon asking for the money she goes "think of all the stuff I have bought you!"

Got into a big row. Got most of it back and there are no hard feelings anymore - but NEVER AGAIN.

SiriusB

Soldato
We are a very financialy stable family with no loans bar a little mortgage.
And still now and again we get cought short with no money in the house, like when the window cleaner calls and the missus has to borrow a fiver from my boy (12 years old).
Then again he cant complain cos he has a PC, a PS2, a Telly and a PSP in his room all paid for by our hard work. The kids even offered to pay for the tip at the restaurant tonight bless them.

Soldato
RandomTom said:
I am a spoilt only child, so although not technically stealing, in theory I will own my parents thousands of pounds down to the things they have bought me or whatever. Woo.

Ditto, although I already owe them thousands of pounds :(.

Soldato
SiriusB said:
Ugh tell me about it. I let my mother borrow 200 quid a few years ago so she could pay off a credit card bill. A few weeks later upon asking for the money she goes "think of all the stuff I have bought you!"

My Mum has never been like that but my sister is - not that she ever spends a penny on me! A month or 2 ago she got her first mobile, as the last 4 have officially been mine (her phone, my contract, my bills coming out of my bank account!). I was lucky if I got 1 payment out of 3 tbh!

She seems to think it's her right as my little sister to spend mine! :eek: :p

Soldato
Kell_ee001 said:
My Mum has never been like that but my sister is - not that she ever spends a penny on me! A month or 2 ago she got her first mobile, as the last 4 have officially been mine (her phone, my contract, my bills coming out of my bank account!). I was lucky if I got 1 payment out of 3 tbh!

She seems to think it's her right as my little sister to spend mine! :eek: :p

Damn I wish I had a big sister ;).

Back
Top Bottom