Bank Charges - Beat the banks!

Permabanned
Captain Planet said:
The fact that so many people seem to be getting their money back suggests that the banks dont really rely on these chrages and are happy to cooperate with reimbursing people

No, the fact that people are getting reimbursed suggests that the banks do not have a leg to stand on if any of the cases got to court...which is why none have done.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Sorry not read all 7 pages but can i reclaim credit card charges as well or is it only bank dd/over-limit charges

Last edited:

ob1

ob1

Associate
The whole thing was originally about credit card charges, the OFT then extended it to bank and overdraft charges, so yes go for it.

Its a retrospective judgement, upto 6 years

Associate
Beansprout said:
I believe ze TV said "the banks should not charge more than is necessary to cover their costs" in other words they shouldn't make a profit from the charges.

Which is why, I believe, they recently pretty much got told to lower their charges and they did, from ~£20 to ~£12.

(This was only one charge though iirc - late payment/overdraft or something - can't rememebr exactly)

Result? Higher credit card APRs! Whoooooooo!

Their net profit will thus be the same, they just get it via other means.

Associate
Roalith said:
I don't dispute Banks should be making money - it is after all what they do. But to make money off the backs of the people who can least afford it (IE: The ones getting returned d/ds, accidentally going over their overdraft limit etc), is IMHO immoral.

Simple answer: manage your money properly and don't go overdrawn. Maintain an overdraft facility though, so if that DD or whatever does come out a day early, it will just use your authorised overdraft. Don't keep your bank account at the limit of the OD & make sure you have a buffer (even if the OD is the buffer).

Soldato
Samtheman1k said:
Simple answer: manage your money properly and don't go overdrawn. Maintain an overdraft facility though, so if that DD or whatever does come out a day early, it will just use your authorised overdraft. Don't keep your bank account at the limit of the OD & make sure you have a buffer (even if the OD is the buffer).

Which is actually the argument by a lot of people in this thread.
It isn't difficult to monitor your finances and if anything untoward happens like a cheque clearing early or somebody taking a DD early etc a quick call to the bank and they do not send you a letter.
If you are having problems with your finances - going overdrawn then once more a quick visit to your bank and they will sort everything out for you.

If you need somebody to hold your hand when it comes to budgetting and finances then you need to step back and see what is going on and where it is going wrong.
So we are being told that £25 is too much for a bank to charge and it should only be £12 and all these incompetents should be encouraged to claim back what is "rightfully their money".
I don't know about you, but after getting my first £25 letter for going overdrawn or for a cheque not being honoured I wouldn't do it again.
At most I'd be able to claim back around £25 - the difference between the £12 and the £25 I was actually charged.
These people claiming back thousands - it means the banks are constantly, probably monthly sending out letters to these people who are probably justg ignoring them and burying their heads in the sand.
You just wonder how many times a bank has to write to some people before they can get it into their heads that they need to speak with their bank manager and sort something out rather than moaning about the charge for letters get yourself in a position where you don't get sent any!

Associate
shadowscotland said:
Been reading this thread with great interest, some good points being made on both sides would just like to say that JimmyEatWorms (page 3) raised a point that so far no-one seams to have noticed.

If you want to vote with your feet, bank ethically with the co-operative bank or smile (its internet award wining version)
Not the very best rates (about .5% below) around but competitive and upfront about its banking polices.

Not only has it got reasonable charges (and in many cases no charges) but also your money is not invested in unethically 'business' like war

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/s...gename=Smile/NCView&cpid=1148453764077&c=Page

Service wise it's as good if not better than all high street and most Internet banks.

So ask yourself a question if you buy free-range eggs or low sulphur petrol, a AAA rated electrical appliance, or a low power AMD processor and don’t own a gun, why is my money being invested in the opposite?

You could do that if you were happy to support a company that puts all of it's effort into "presenting" a green and ethical facade while it's internal staff policies are apalling with outsourcing and redundancies aplenty.

Did you know that while the customer facing part of the co-op bank is green an ethical, the co-op group is as dirty as the rest? CIS for example who provide the insurance products are far from green and ethical and invest in any dodgy exploitative company that will keep them afloat for another 12 months.

It's a con, a very elaborate and well managed con. I may or may not be an ex-employee nudge nudge wink wink.

Soldato
stoofa said:

Tell you what, you go back to polishing your halo and I'll go about screwing the bank for every penny I can.

If it makes them feel better people can call me irresponsible, money grabbing, greedy, etc all they want. But at the end of the day I've seen an opportunity to get some of the money I've paid to the bank back and I'm damn well going to take it.

Soldato
stoofa said:
Which is actually the argument by a lot of people in this thread.
It isn't difficult to monitor your finances and if anything untoward happens like a cheque clearing early or somebody taking a DD early etc a quick call to the bank and they do not send you a letter.
If you are having problems with your finances - going overdrawn then once more a quick visit to your bank and they will sort everything out for you.

If you need somebody to hold your hand when it comes to budgetting and finances then you need to step back and see what is going on and where it is going wrong.
So we are being told that £25 is too much for a bank to charge and it should only be £12 and all these incompetents should be encouraged to claim back what is "rightfully their money".
I don't know about you, but after getting my first £25 letter for going overdrawn or for a cheque not being honoured I wouldn't do it again.
At most I'd be able to claim back around £25 - the difference between the £12 and the £25 I was actually charged.
These people claiming back thousands - it means the banks are constantly, probably monthly sending out letters to these people who are probably justg ignoring them and burying their heads in the sand.
You just wonder how many times a bank has to write to some people before they can get it into their heads that they need to speak with their bank manager and sort something out rather than moaning about the charge for letters get yourself in a position where you don't get sent any!

So ....... if a speed trap was put on a road unlawfully, and you kept getting charged/fined, even though you knew it was wrong, you'd be happy to pay and not claim your money back ? (odd example but ya know what I mean) ...... or would you say "People should manage their speed better"?

"they need to speak with their bank manager and sort something out " ...

When was the last time you actually spoke with your/any bank manager? I can't, I have to be passed around to the "lending dept" or "collections" or any other dept when I have a query ....

Associate
singist said:
So ....... if a speed trap was put on a road unlawfully, and you kept getting charged/fined, even though you knew it was wrong, you'd be happy to pay and not claim your money back ? (odd example but ya know what I mean) ...... or would you say "People should manage their speed better"?

I think the point is that once you've been fined once by the speed camera, then you shouldn't do it again...why would you keep speeding through a speed trap???? It's financial suicide!!!!! Avoid getting the fines in the first place!!!!!!!!!

Associate
singist said:

When was the last time you actually spoke with your/any bank manager? I can't, I have to be passed around to the "lending dept" or "collections" or any other dept when I have a query ....

The difference is that the charges themselves aren't unlawful - the level of them was deemed to be excessive, so your analogy doesn't really make sense. The fact is that you have done something wrong, and so you are liable for costs - I think the banks have been unreasonable in the level of charges that they've levied, but it's also the inconvenience for them. Banks have a legal duty to keep the amount of money that they owe in proportion to the money that they are owed - if everyone was constantly breaking terms, then they could never judge precisely what position they were in.

And it's not difficult to speak to your bank manager... all you have to do is walk through the front door, up to that shiny little counter, and ask the teller. That's what I've always done - I've not had to be rude, or shout; have just asked... not quite sure why it doesn't seem to work for everyone else. :confused:

The problem that I seem to have with a lot of this claiming back of charges is not that people are indignant that the bank has been levying charges; but simply, that they are a bit miffed that they have been charged and see it as an easy way to get a bit of money as the banks are an easy target. Fair enough to those who honestly feel they have been wronged, but all too straightforward for everyone else to jump on the bandwagon!

Soldato
Not having read the whole thread, I would like to point out to all you smug lot that are getting your charges back, you are infact going to bring an end to free banking for everyone. about 50% of accounts don't make money. The rest make varying degrees for the banks. Those of who get charged, 90+% of the time, it's correct and the rest, we'll generally refund. I personally can't wait until you're charged for everything you do - hell I'm staff so it'll be free for me. Most other countries have fee structures, US, Canada, Australia are three I've seen recently.

Why do people see banks at as a public service, somewhere you can abuse your facilities without recourse? The last guy who came oin complaining about charges, I offered a solution - marking the account so it CANNOT go overdrawn.. Imagine my surprise a week later when he's screaming the banking hall down because the ATM wouldn't give him a tenner at 3am because there was only £9.55 in the account and that he blamed ME for him having to walk the 6 miles home. Honestly, we can't win.

Then, everyone expects the best rate on their savings with the lowest rate on their loans/mortgage and the longest free balance transfer rate etc. A 5k loan over 18 months @ 6.9% makes just ove £320 for the bank. After cost of opening and servicing that account, it's less than £50.

Before the flame brigade get your 'you make loads of money and can afford it' hats on, just remember who's tax bill is paying for the NHS - HSBC, Barclays, Llodys TSB, HBoS and Natwest BOS pay tens of billions of pounds of tax into the economy and employ some 80,000 workers between them. Most UK arms of the banks make very little once the tax bill has gone.

hope that some of the gloats are cleared up now.

Soldato
Kitchster_uk said:
Most UK arms of the banks make very little once the tax bill has gone.

Sorry but...what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4303653.stm

HSBC has revealed a 37% rise in pre-tax profit to £9.6bn ($17.6bn) for 2004.

Chairman Sir John Bond said 2004 was "another good year for HSBC", which generates nearly a quarter of its earnings in the UK.

So that's at least a billion made in the UK alone after tax. You'll forgive me if I don't lose sleep over claiming a few hundred quid back...

Back
Top Bottom