805 at 3.8GHz on Thermaltake Bigwater

Soldato
Pandobear said:
Has anyone got details of the vdroop mod for the P5LD2 Deluxe>? I can find the ones for the WD, but not the LD.

Blue078 on XS said:
The P5LD2 uses the same voltage regulation chip as the P5WD2 (ADP3181)
Solder a 50K multiturn VR to pins 17 - 18.
The best setting I found was 42k, set this before you soldered it in.
This gave .075 - .085 voltage increase on what is set in the bios. But you`ll get next to zero droop under load.

So set to 1.325v in bios ( stock on my processor ) you`ll get 1.400 - 1.410 measured with a DMM . Probe reads fractionally higher.

If you have the time a Heatsink on the MOS FETs at the side of the socket wont go a miss.They get quite hot. Also if you`re water cooling you`ll need a small fan blowing accross both the heatsinks otherwise they get Bl**dy hot indeed.

Hope this helps

I presume this means the same pencil mod I done on my P5ND2 will also work as they use the same chip.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94659

This thread explains the pencil mod, good luck.

ob1

ob1

Associate
Arthalen said:
No, wont overheat, you'l just suffer the woes of throttling LOL

I got throttling at 70c so I disabled it and it kept on rising so I thought better not let it carry on and cancelled the test. Is 80c still ok ?

I noticed the north and south bridge heatsinks get hot enough to burn my finger when touched, so I put small fans on the north and an old 586 heatsink on the south

I think the voltage in the bios goes all the way to 1.8v or so, whats the limit there ?

Edit:
p5nd2voltmod8bw.jpg

I did the mod pretty roughly, I couldnt get the pencil lead fine enough to actually fit inbetween the tiny legs so I taped it in place with sellotape. 0.5mm lead is too big :/

There does seem some improvement but still have a drop of 0.05v under load.
full pass on s+m at stock speeds and voltage which is now showing as 1.39v

Last edited:
Associate
According to the manual my boad limit on Vcore is 1.7, but i'd need a vapochill before even thinking of going that high lol.

On side note, I'm just upping my overclock. Specced it up another 5FSB to 3.7Ghz now that I've done the Vdroop mod.

Voltage is still cream smooth stable, 1.225 Volts set in BIOS, 1.32 volts reported by Speedfan. This is doing 32M SuperPi at the moment without issues, ran through 1M no problems. I'm about to full load test after the 32M Super Pi to see how things run.... *grits teeth against the temperature rises*

I think the thing about this mod I love the most is the fact that under load the voltage actually rises slightly thanks to the lower resistance, which although it means more temps it does mean more stability.

Thank god for ghetto is all I can say :)

Associate
@obi:

I'm sorry to say mate, but I'd have another go at that pencil mod. That voltage seems very choppy to me, and the alarm bells ring when you said you still get a vdroop of 0.05 - this is exactly what was happening to me BEFORE I did the mod :/

Here's a speedfan piccy after the fact for me:

volts6px.jpg

As you can see, a lot smoother...... 1.32 rock solid stable before I start testing, and then starts to peak UP a tiny bit (0.01, 0.02) while doing 32M SuperPi.

EDIT NOTE: Do not disable Throttling. Throttling is your thermal friend, your performance adversary. It tells you need better thermal management or to drop the voltage off a little and will keep your chip happier in the long run.

ob1

ob1

Associate
To be fair the chart does look a lot better under normal stress, 2 copies of sp2004 looked smoother. Superpi only tests 1 core at a time, so its more a speed test then stress and I use winrar benchmark to test multi-thread speed.

I will probably give it another go but I'll have to take the motherboard out and get my eye 1 inch away as its so miniscule.
Also my heatsink doesnt really cut it despite being almost a kilograms worth of copper, I need one of those heatpipe jobbies

Soldato
Arthalen said:
EDIT NOTE: Do not disable Throttling. Throttling is your thermal friend, your performance adversary. It tells you need better thermal management or to drop the voltage off a little and will keep your chip happier in the long run.

Lies mine started throttling a tiny bit at 55c, was annoying :p

Associate
@Raikiri: Thats real weird - Mine doesn't throttle until 70C .... but then youvce read my old thread about the lies Speedfan II reports about my stackcooled motherboard ;)

Well, the good news for me is 32M Pi just passed at 3.7Ghz, so I'm starting the Dual Stress Prime of Death and destruction tests now *sigh*

Soldato
Good luck with that, I had to drop mine back to 3.8 for 100% stability and I have the CPU fan on a controller to keep noise down. Tops out at 60c so yours should be ok at 3.7.

Associate
Well its under way, looks like I can add another 100Mhz to my overclock as temps seem stable at around 67C.

Voltage stability is rock solid at 1.340 - 1.345. Much goodness.

*Keeping fingers crossed Prime passes a good few hours of testing *

Associate
Arthalen said:
Well its under way, looks like I can add another 100Mhz to my overclock as temps seem stable at around 67C.

Voltage stability is rock solid at 1.340 - 1.345. Much goodness.

*Keeping fingers crossed Prime passes a good few hours of testing *

67c on bigwater? Wow, it's worse than I could imagine :D

Associate
OP
I have just done the pencil volt mod, could not have been easier. The oddest thing is that now it actually runs 3.8 GHz at stock voltages, which are obviously 0.1v higher than set, but this is a full 0.15 under where I had to have it before. Runs cooler now also, obviously because of the lower vcore. What I don't understand is what is the downside of this mod? There must be one otherwise surely Asus would do it as standard? Anyways, thanks guys vcore does not move more than 0.02 now, and only upwards! woohoo

Associate
Pandobear said:
I have just done the pencil volt mod, could not have been easier. The oddest thing is that now it actually runs 3.8 GHz at stock voltages, which are obviously 0.1v higher than set, but this is a full 0.15 under where I had to have it before. Runs cooler now also, obviously because of the lower vcore. What I don't understand is what is the downside of this mod? There must be one otherwise surely Asus would do it as standard? Anyways, thanks guys vcore does not move more than 0.02 now, and only upwards! woohoo

Just fantastic isn't it ??? Vdroop seems to be limiting factor, do this mod , and Im stable at 3.7 now with less volts.

I will probably go to 3.8 tomorrow night.. or maybe tonight.... ahhh fubar it im gonna go for it... Prime stable and no throttling in sight here :D

Associate
Well, 3.8 has booted fine, passed 1M SuperPi no issues, doin the rounds at 32M SuperPi. Voltages super stable :D

Will let 32M Pi run, then go for the Dual Prime overnight methinks.

Associate
Last update before I hit bed - running fine at 3.8Ghz on Full Dual Prime load - temps same as what they were at 3.7, no voltage change necessary (yet lol), voltage is super stable for me :D

Gonna head off to bed.

Ooh, look at that, my 100th Post too! Yay me (lol).

Associate
OP
Last update before I hit bed - running fine at 3.8Ghz on Full Dual Prime load - temps same as what they were at 3.7, no voltage change necessary (yet lol), voltage is super stable for me

Really excellant processor for the money. I was going to change for a Conroe as soon as they are available, but I think that I will hold off for a little while, wait and see which one will really give an improvement over the 805. Also not many of the new chipset boards have many sata ports. I really need a minimum of six internal, but most boards seem to be going for the esata, not sure why, can't see much use for it. The P5LD2 has the four intel sata which I use for a four drive RAID 5, and then I have to use a 3112 Silicon Image PCI card for the two raptors as the board has only one more internal sata, and it is a real mess to have a esata to sata cable running from the outside of the case back in.

One other interesting thing with the overclocking is that at 180 FSB I lose the intel raid controller, comes back at 190FSB. Doesn't matter whether I lock the PCI and PCIe buses or not, weird.

ob1

ob1

Associate
My 2nd attempt was no good, I thought it worked at first because I snapped the very thin tip of the pencil off nicely between the chip legs however I must have been a bit liberal with the graphite as it was really unstable afterwards.

I even removed the pencil lead and it didnt stop the freezing, so I had to use a rubber on the mainboard to remove any traces of graphite which seems to have worked now. No damage done phew

S+M is stable at 100% but shows a deviation of .03v at stock speeds. I'll try again later I guess :o

Back
Top Bottom