Itunes messing up my music

Associate
Ok im hoping this is is the right place to post this, if not can one of the mods move it to the appropriate place.
OK basically itunes has just caused me a nightmare. Turned on my pc earlier on this week to find that a good 1500 of my songs that i had imported into itunes had been renamed to artist=<unknown> and album=<unknown>
Ive spent hours rearranging all this and i finally got it done. Anybody have any idea why this would happen, seeing as ive made no changes to anything and that the music had been playing fine the day before.

Also at the same time, itunes has removed a quite a few albums from the library. I reinstalled itunes and did all the bits and pieces i could think of doing and i cannot import these albums back. I know the music works because it works with other players like mediaplayer and winamp but just not with itunes. When i try and copy them into the library screen, it comes up with the copying bit at the top, but then there is nothing.
Any help trying to sort this out is much appreciated.
Thanks
Jay

Associate
Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General

Make sure "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" is unchecked. Then just make sure you store all your music in a folder that isn't the iTunes Music folder and iTunes will never touch it :)

As for iTunes removing music from the library on its own, i've never, ever had it do that :confused:

What operating system, music format and iTunes version are you using?

Associate
I also keep all my music in a completely different folder to what Itunes wants....Yes ok, its a hell of a task spending 6 hours double clicking every one of 6000 songs so it appears in Itunes...but its worth it for me, cause then I tunes doesn't touch it, and im very particular as to how my songs are named haha, and Itunes doesnt do this the right way, takes a bit of work, but is worth it for me

Soldato
Unromantic__Me said:
I also keep all my music in a completely different folder to what Itunes wants....Yes ok, its a hell of a task spending 6 hours double clicking every one of 6000 songs so it appears in Itunes...but its worth it for me, cause then I tunes doesn't touch it, and im very particular as to how my songs are named haha, and Itunes doesnt do this the right way, takes a bit of work, but is worth it for me

you do realise that you can just drag the whole folder into iTunes :p ;)

Soldato
Unromantic__Me said:

All you need to do is File - add folder to library, it'll pick up all the tunes and not disturb them, that's what I do, my music is in a totally different drive to itunes.

Soldato
Carter said:
All you need to do is File - add folder to library, it'll pick up all the tunes and not disturb them, that's what I do, my music is in a totally different drive to itunes.

Mine's on a different hard drive as well. Just follow what he says :D.

Associate
Carter said:
Works well for me between different windows log in profiles, just got to enable share music :)

Associate
OP
well im using xp, standard mp3s and itunes 6.0.4.2

i made the mistake a while back of accidently transferring my music to the itunes folder (yes i know amateur, but now i cant be bothered to go and redo 8000+ songs into the format i liked)
The music is all in the itunes folder and has been for a while so i dont know why all of a sudden it wont play certain albums. The worst bit is ive got these albums all at home, but im stuck at uni til end of july so i cant reimport them. I wanna listen to the Chili Peppers!!!!!

Anybody ever had any of these problems and if you have any help to stop it happening agin to me.

Back
Top Bottom