Netgear SC101 question

Soldato
I've just received a free Netgear SC101 but after reading the instructions it looks like I'm forced to install some crappy software on each machine that needs access. As I would like to access it from my iPaq too this isn't an option.

Does anyone know if there has been any hacked firmware or anything that would turn it into a normal NAS device or am I better off just getting rid of it and buying a different one?

Soldato
They're complete and utter crap. I'd eBay it and hope that someone foolishly thinks that they're bidding on a useful bit of kit.

Mine went off to eBay and I ended up getting £55 for it which I was very happy with, especially considering that mine was also a freebie.

Soldato
Up to Netgear's usual high standard... :p

As Burbleflop said, ebay it and buy a proper NAS device, it's not capable of much other than sharing with Windows machines.

Soldato
Well, yes.. that is true.

What on earth is the point in buying one, anyway? They don't even support OS X or Linux. No wonder somewhere was giving them away free!

Associate
Unfortunatly I have one too. Mine only works with the software installed on every pc you want to use it on, loads of firewall ports opened, one NIC active on my machine (as the service gets confused when trying to scan the different subnets), it also slows down windows explorer because of added right-click menu items if you don't have the right ports open. Despite all that once you get it working, its reasonable for something of its price.

Soldato
mattreay said:
Despite all that once you get it working, its reasonable for something of its price.

I disagree. Considering mine was a freebie (as were the 2 x 300Gb drives in it), I still felt ripped off when I finally got it 'working' properly because of the amount of time I'd put into it.

Back
Top Bottom