Internet keeps dropping..Please Help!

Associate
Hi

i have a D-link dsl 604 router to share the internet amongst the PCs in my house (1 wired desktop, 2 wireless desktops and 1 wireless laptop)

over the past couple of months, my wireless connection itself seemed to be dropping every so often, and a hard reset of the router was the only fix.

i upgraded to "up to 8mbps" broadband (around 5mb on my connection) the other day, and i have found that over the last few days my internet has carried on disconnecting and reconnecting. i am wanting to know if this is the router (Which i suspect it may be) or an actual line error. what can i do to find the culprit?

i dont mind purchasing a new router, but dont fancy paying out if its not going to resolve my problem

thanks a lot

jonny

Associate
There is a 10 day "trial" period when you should expect your line to drop connection whilst BT find the best speed for your line. How long have you had ADSL Max?

Caporegime
You'd get some idea if you dug out your attenuation/SNR margin.

There is a 10 day "trial" period when you should expect your line to drop connection whilst BT find the best speed for your line.

Wrong.

Associate
Are you going to tell us how it works then? As far as i understood speeds will vary with in the first 10 days and often the line may drop

Associate
OP
Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 5920 kbps 448 kbps
SNR 6.0 dB 8.5 dB
ATEN 36 dB 21 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 0 0
CRC 297 0
ATM layer HEC 75 0
Frame Counter 63695 51308

ive pulled that off my router configuration if it means anything??
i know how to set up the network, but details like this mean little to me (other than the obvious such as up and down link speed)

Associate
Your SNR seems very low, which could cause drop outs. From what I have read some modems are better at holding a connection with a lower snr than others. Tolien seems to know more about ADSL Max, he should have a better idea?

Associate
OP
mattreay said:
Your SNR seems very low, which could cause drop outs. From what I have read some modems are better at holding a connection with a lower snr than others. Tolien seems to know more about ADSL Max, he should have a better idea?

thanks

can anyone help me on this? or is it gunna be the case that i have to phone BT and degrade back to 2mb?

Caporegime
It's been written about often enough, I'd suggest doing some reading for yourself.

mattreay said:
As far as i understood speeds will vary with in the first 10 days and often the line may drop

It'll continue to drop long after the 10 days unless the DLM kicks in and a) switches on interleaving and/or b) alters your target SNR margin, rather than automatically losing synch as some kind of testing process which you implied.

You don't have to downgrade to home2000, and unless BT's your ISP, you shouldn't phone them at all.

If you leave it be, it should stabilise. How often is it disconnecting?

Associate
OP
i have been doing somer readin, but have failed to come up with any useful answers for my problem.
Im on the BT business package, due to it being a "business line"

its dropping anywhere between every 5 mins, or it can go for a few hours, basically at random intervals

Caporegime
jonnybjonny said:
i have been doing somer readin, but have failed to come up with any useful answers for my problem.

It was directed at mattreay more than you.

its dropping anywhere between every 5 mins, or it can go for a few hours, basically at random intervals

Ideally, the DLM kit should kick in and turn up your SNR margin. In reality, you're probably going to need to phone your ISP.

Back
Top Bottom