GBJ number plate

Soldato
Isn't it the same as other European countries where they are "supposed" to be re-registered within six months.
I say supposed to, because until they actually clamp down on people not doing so (as have two people I know) they can carry on doing what they like on UK roads and getting away with it :-/

Suspended
My Aunt had Jersey plates on her merc for ages after she moved to Newmarket. But they do have an appartment still in Jersey and that's where the car was registered to so she got away with it.

But now she has brought a new car and has UK plates.

Soldato
Just done a bit of Google:

There are International agreements which provide for the temporary use of a vehicle in a foreign country for a limited time, usually 6 months in a 12 month period. A visitor to the UK may use a vehicle displaying foreign plates, provided that all taxes (including vehicle excise duty) are paid in their country of origin.

A lot of information at the link below about importing of cars by the looks of things:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm

Soldato
MrMatteh said:
they can speed etc? and not be prosecuted?

I could be wrong and I'm more than ready to be proved so.
However I was very much under the impression that should pictures be developed from a speed camera and they show foreign plates on a car the chances are that unless they are wanted criminals or they were involved in an accident etc then they won't be persued to their home country - just too much paperwork and hassle involved.
I think the same goes for parking tickets - foreign plated car gets one it's not as if the UK database contains information on any foreign cars so it means getting in touch with the equiv of DVLA in the foreign country etc....

Associate
My housemate had her GBJ plated car in the UK for 4 years whilst she was at university here. In the 3rd year it got stolen and recovered by the police and they didn't question it.

Take from that what you will...

Back
Top Bottom