805 at 3.8GHz on Thermaltake Bigwater

Associate
Well, 3.8 no good for me - temp crept up to high in the end, hit 72C according to PC PRobe and then one of he dual primes fell over.

At a double edge sword here, need more volts to get stability and need less temp because it started to throttle at that temp - probly why it crashed.

Gonna try a theory out and lower the volts to sustain the temp lower while at 3.8 - maybe leaner is meaner kind of thing :)

If not, will have to wait for W/C to go higher ....

Associate
OP
Mine doesn't go above 60 degrees, idles at around 40 from the motherboard monitoring. The water block never really moves temperature wise though, but hte processor will rise immeadiately that it goes on load, up to 60 very quickly, but then drops just as rapidly when coming off load, so I think that it is either a heat spreader or waterblock problem. I keep being tempted by the swiftech kits, everyone says how excellant they are, and that the Bigwater is poor, but then I keep thinking don't fix that which isn't broken. It does the job and there are no gaurantees that the processor is going any highter than 4 GHz anyways. I will probably buy a swiftech kit anyways, just to play.

Associate
I wish my system *only* hit 60C lol!!! I'd be clocking it further up like mad.

I really don't see a problem with temps hitting high 60's under FULL DUAL test load with Stress Prime. As long as it does not throttle, its not over heating ;)

After doing my testing at present the only CPU intensive stuff I'm doing is Photoshopping and playing games like F.E.A.R. I have a second monitor hooked up so I can monitor temps while playing fear, and they never go above 60C - 55-57 is the norm.

Can anyone recommend anything profuctive to put all these great CPU cycles to use for ? :)

Associate
OP
Yes, am tempted to push it a little further, but as you rightly point out, what then to do with the CPU cycles, you can only benchmark so often before it begins to lose it's appeal, lol. This way I get to leave all the fans turned down as low as they will go, and be as near silent as possible. I am now looking, or rather listening to my media center machine, that is in one of Antec Overture II cases, very noisy power supply fans, perhaps I will start a seperate thread

ob1

ob1

Associate
Its a real boost to video encoding Ive found, unbelievable performance even compared to a normal fast single core setup. What used to take a day can take less then an hour now.
Probably the same for audio, virus checks, image handling and anything else like that.

Did you know blutack is a conductor, unfortunately I found out tonight and I had to disassemble the entire rig to clear it out :o :( Gave me a chance to try and apply the mod again and I'll test tommorow, it'd better work!!

Back
Top Bottom