World To End - May 4th 2102

Soldato
Heard about this on the radio again today and found an interesting wiki article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_MN4

Berserker said:
Mind you, I'd be more worried about a Goa'uld System Lord turning up in 2029. Are we sure that's just a rock? :p

Not to worry, as you can see I'm allready at the SGC now and can confirm it's not actually a System Lord as the only Goa'uld you need to worry about is BAAL who is on Earth atm with his clones. I can also confirm the mass heading for is a fleet of ori ships. We're still trying to figure out how to stop them atm.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mundu said:
Heard about this on the radio again today and found an interesting wiki article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_MN4

Not to worry, as you can see I'm allready at the SGC now and can confirm it's not actually a System Lord as the only Goa'uld you need to worry about is BAAL who is on Earth atm with his clones. I can also confirm the mass heading for is a fleet of ori ships. We're still trying to figure out how to stop them atm.
my own thread, and i'd completely forgot about this :o

pretty interesting read on the wiki though... good find.

Soldato
yer_averagejoe said:
I don't know about you lot but a 1/3000 chance of most human life being wiped out is too high a chance to take. Shame they dont want to do anything about it seeing as its only 1 in 3000 though..

the damage an asteroid that size can inflict largely depends on how fast it is travelling when it hits us. It could be travelling fast enough for the atmosphere to barely harm it.

Personally I can live with a 1/3000 chance of an asteroid hitting.....

It's the seemingly headlong rush us humans have to destroy the planet ourselves I find very worrying. :(

Associate
A NEO (Near Earth Object), termed Apophis will be making several passes around the Earth in the near future. Back in 2004, it had a Torino rating of 1 (A routine discovery in which a pass near the Earth is predicted that poses no unusual level of danger. Current calculations show the chance of collision is extremely unlikely with no cause for public attention or public concern. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0). This has since been lowered to 0 (self explanatory). However the slightly disturbing thing here is that the subsequent approaches will be altered by the Earth's gravity. Sometime in 2038 we will either get hit, or have a fantastic nighttime display to watch as this thing swooshes past :)

From

The really disturbing thing is that NASA want to practise deflection techniques on this thing when it next comes around (I will try to find a linky for those who are interested in it).

Associate
some insane part of me wants to see what happens if it did hit. Can you imagine what the news network would make if it if a small metor hit (say something big enough to take out a city, but not do global damage)

Permabanned
Robdav said:
some insane part of me wants to see what happens if it did hit. Can you imagine what the news network would make if it if a small metor hit (say something big enough to take out a city, but not do global damage)

If they can calculate if its going to hit then they can also calculate where its going to hit.

Back
Top Bottom