SMART Roadster - Yay or Nay?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Serj said:
The only thing that would bother me about LHD is the fact you won't be able to overtake people very easily on single lane roads as you can't see whats coming.....

Balls :) I have no trouble doing just that in the Oldsmobile, I can see fine and that's in a 6ft4 wide car. In a car the size of the Smart Roadster it should be very easy to adjust.

Soldato
Nice choice mate, if it's what you're after then I reckon you'll be very happy! Just hope the annual service at Toni and Guy doesn't break the bank.... ;)

Soldato
JRS said:
Balls :) I have no trouble doing just that in the Oldsmobile, I can see fine and that's in a 6ft4 wide car. In a car the size of the Smart Roadster it should be very easy to adjust.

It's undoubtedly easier with RHD though. At least on the roads i encounter on my usual drives.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Serj said:
It's undoubtedly easier with RHD though. At least on the roads i encounter on my usual drives.

I don't know, I wouldn't have said it was easier or harder. Just different. But a lot of people apparently struggle with it, so I'll concede your point :)

Associate
OP
Serj said:
The only thing that would bother me about LHD is the fact you won't be able to overtake people very easily on single lane roads as you can't see whats coming.....

I don't do that in my current car, doubt I'll find it a problem.

I drive like an old fart.

Associate
sorry if what i'm mentioning has been mentioned before (it's late and i haven't read all the comments) but the roadster has a god awful gearbox, Before buying one i'd suggest take it for a test run and see if you can live with it. It's a semi-automatic that seems to be in a different time zone to the rest of the car if you know what i mean.

Yes it's a smart looking car (pun intended :D ) but personally i couldn't live with a car that shifts gears so badly/slowly.

Soldato
Enjoy mate :)

As much as Ive never buy one, Ive also had a soft spot for the Smart Roadsters. The Brabus ones do look really sweet.

Dont think Id ever buy a LHD car for use in the UK, but if it doesnt bother you then there isnt a reason not to assuming it holds its value as much as its RHD counterparts.

Associate
OP
hsp70 said:
sorry if what i'm mentioning has been mentioned before (it's late and i haven't read all the comments) but the roadster has a god awful gearbox, Before buying one i'd suggest take it for a test run and see if you can live with it. It's a semi-automatic that seems to be in a different time zone to the rest of the car if you know what i mean.

Yes it's a smart looking car (pun intended :D ) but personally i couldn't live with a car that shifts gears so badly/slowly.

I took it for a test drive on Saturday, never found the gears much of a problem. You can either change the gears yourself or just over-rev and let it do the work for you.

Associate
The Mrs got one last week, Silver 05 Brabus Coupe. It’s given her a big boost as she has never been an over confident driver. We looked at loads of different cars that we would put into the same category. We drove the new Tigra, MX5, Street Ka, MGTF but overall we fell for the roadster. We found the Brabus much more bearable with the improved gearbox and more power. I know a lot of Elise owners now that used to own the smart and still speak highly of the smart which can’t be a bad thing. There isn’t many rear wheeled, turbo’ed cars that weigh 700kg’s. I get a great grin on my face everytime I go out in it and I’ve paid a great deal more money for other cars that haven’t done that.
A note on the gear change would be that once used to it using the paddles is a lot more responsive than relying on the full auto. A comment was made regarding leaks; I must say that this was something that scared me to begin with as I got hung up on too many comments on certain sites re this. So far so good and I have made sure it’s got a right hammering with the hose when washing.
Im sorry but I can only speak as I find and its a great car if you dont mind the toyish looks and the alloys on the brabus are nothing short of breath taking due to the size of the things on such a little car! Not cheap at 2k a set thou!

Associate
Are we talking about a daihatsu charade turbo. I thought they averaged about 40? Had a quick look on the net but am struggling to find any details.

Soldato
adapt said:
Are we talking about a daihatsu charade turbo. I thought they averaged about 40? Had a quick look on the net but am struggling to find any details.
van the man is the guy to ask on this as he's au fait on all things quirky and japanese.

and before anyone makes the obvious gag NO, i'm sure he hasn't personally met Yoko Ono.

Man of Honour
Conanius said:
silver

187435smart.jpg

black

406.jpg
Ick, seriously fugly cars!

Soldato
adapt said:

kei car class japanese cars. been around long before smarts :p

the charade turbo isnt small enough and has too big an engine to be one :)

Back
Top Bottom