• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

>> 7300GT 256mb GDDR3! <<

OcUK Staff
man_from_uncle said:
Didn't spot that. Boooo! We want GDDR3!

I can't see how DDR3 will make any difference as the 7300GT core is not moving huge amounts of data around quickly enough for it to need faster memory.

Galaxy are using DDR3 for marketing etc. etc. Looks good on paper but probably makes little to no difference.

Also these cards run extremely cool, why need uprated cooling when just a heatsink is ample?

Associate
Gibbo said:
I can't see how DDR3 will make any difference as the 7300GT core is not moving huge amounts of data around quickly enough for it to need faster memory.

Galaxy are using DDR3 for marketing etc. etc. Looks good on paper but probably makes little to no difference.

Also these cards run extremely cool, why need uprated cooling when just a heatsink is ample?
Tut tut tut, someone obviously hasn't done their research.

The 7300GT uses the G73 core (not the G72 core that the GS/LE models use) so is essentially a 7600GT with one quad disabled.

The Inno3D 7300GT in the NGOHQ review (linked above) is pre-overclocked to 500MHz/1400MHz on the core and memory respectively (up from 350MHz/667MHz stock speeds). I don't know about you but I haven't seen DDR2 reach 1400MHz ;)

It would appear that manufacturers who use DDR3 also cherry pick the cores that clock higher (the Inno3D version reached 640MHz), so uprated cooling would also be rather beneficial.

These may look like low end cards, but two of them in SLi will be about as fast as a 7900GT. Not bad for ~£140, eh?

Associate
I can already see Gibbo ticking this over in his mind. The GDDR3 will move loads of data around if it runs at speeds that GDDR3 can exploit.....which is up to 100% more than the DDR2 on that leadtek 7300gt.

Those 7300gts look like they'll give the 7600gs' something to think about and if they really do overclock as well as that review suggests then they'll offer a very cheap only slightly slower alternative to the 7600gt and X1800GTO.

It's yours to choose Gibbo. You'll have to place them very carefully if you get onto this train.

Soldato
not laser cut pipes. just very well disabled so a software mod via rivatuner is not gonna work this time like the x1800gto cards a bios flash has to be done with a tinkered with bios.

Man of Honour
How does this compare with a 7600GS?

EDIT: Which leads me to another thought...

nvidia have gone to some trouble to artificially limit their GPU in order to create a budget model. So doesn't it rain on their parade if a card manufacturer ramps a budget model up to meet the midrange model in performance terms?

Artificial limits on performance solely to serve a business model irritate me, anyway. I understand why they do it, but it bugs me. Unless I can circumvent them, of course :)

It can't be a straightforward BIOS mod to turn a 7300GT into a 7600GT. If it was, modified BIOSes would be all over the place in a week.

Last edited:

k3v

k3v

Associate
the galaxy version would seem to me to be a perfect card for ocuk to sell as its the performance version of the normal card.... any plans to stock it?

Soldato
Gibbo said:

if thats so then why does performance increase on this card when just the memory alone is overclocked?? answer that :cool:

Soldato
also the stock cooling on these cards will be more than sufficient since the stock cooler on the 7600gt i have is the same as the one on the 7300gt by inno3d and my temps never go above 70c even when overclocked. so the 7300gt should be a very cool running card.

k3v

k3v

Associate
which of these boards is the best to buy then as I can't find the galaxy one for sale in the uk. as long as its a dd3 model are they all the same? is the galaxy one the only one with a zalman cooler?

Associate
I would love to get a couple of these cards cheap for SLI. Here is a Hong Kong website : link with the Galaxy 7300GT.

Note the 7300GT in the picture shows only a standard reference cooler as opposed to the Zalman fan often found in reviews. Stock speed is 500MHz and looks pretty good value at HK$699 = £51.

I'm tempted to get a couple of these from HK, although I wonder how they'll run Oblivion at 1280x1024.

Soldato
Those are some nifty little cards!

Not bad scores on all of the benchmarks either although it would have been nice if the review had say a 7600GT for a comparison.

Back
Top Bottom