Recommendations for a new compact camera

Soldato
I’m in the market for a new camera and I could do with some help/suggestions on what to go for.

I’m looking for a new compact camera to replace my old Pentax Optio 330 which I’ve been using for the last 5 years. Overall I’ve been pleased with this camera and it’s served me well, it takes great outdoor and daytime pics but to be honest it’s been a little bit hit and miss when it came to indoor shots or those in low light (has trouble focusing). So time to upgrade and I’ve got the following requirements:-

• Compact size, ideally something that can be slipped into a pocket with ease if needed.
• Works well indoor and in low light conditions.
• Takes SD cards (not a must but would be handy as I’ve got a fair amount of these).
• Good battery life, enough to take a least 100-150 worth of photos.
• Budget around £200, but again would increase if the difference is worth it.

So guys, over to you for some recommendations…

Cheers for any help. :)

Associate
Just lookin for one myself. Powershot might be a bit bigger BUT you have full manual control over exposure. Looks like the one i'd buy atm (a700 or 620)

cmt

cmt

Suspended
Mint Sauce said:
Just lookin for one myself. Powershot might be a bit bigger BUT you have full manual control over exposure. Looks like the one i'd buy atm (a700 or 620)

i looked before i went for the 800is, but the positives (Full manual control /faster lens) do not outweigh the negatives (not pockateable)

so in the end i went for the camer that i know i will ALWAYS carry round with me. yes its not as versatils, but what good is a camera if it is left at home because it wont fit into your pocket.

cmt

Associate
Horses for courses i suppose. To me the a620 is compact enough to pop into a carry case and clip to the belt/hang around your wrist/transport in someway thats not a hiderance. I suppose, yeah, the extra compactness would be good, but i'm to used to using a fully manual camera and dunno if i could live without it, just for the sake of carrying something slightly larger. :)

Tbh tho i've never seen one in the flesh. But from the dimentions i think it'd be ok and obviously allow you more creative control. I've heard people say before buyin a camera is a compromise, guess theres no exception!

Soldato
OP
The camera has to be able to be carried in a pocket otherwise as others have mentioned it will be left at home. I'll spend a couple more hours looking but I think I'm going to go for the Ixus 800IS.

Associate
GSXRMovistar said:
The camera has to be able to be carried in a pocket otherwise as others have mentioned it will be left at home.

Fair enough, just thought i'd point out something that may have interested you. IXUS800 is a damm good camera, post some results when you get it! :D

cmt

cmt

Suspended
If it is to be carried all the time it may be a wise move to invest in one of the silicon 'sleeves' (similar to an iPod case) for a bit of protection.

cmt

Soldato
The new Ricoh Caplio R4 seems to be getting not bad reviews, a bit over your budget at £249. Its also got a 7x optical zoom which i find pretty amazing for a compact camera.

Soldato
OP
melchy said:
The new Ricoh Caplio R4 seems to be getting not bad reviews, a bit over your budget at £249. Its also got a 7x optical zoom which i find pretty amazing for a compact camera.
I'll take a look at that then, budget is now around £260-270 as I was prepared to pay that for the Ixus 800.

cmt

cmt

Suspended
melchy said:

acording to some of the comments on dpreview, it can suffer from 'banding' problems

link

it was on my shortlist (as was the Panasonic TZ1 - until i saw the terrible ISO noise) when i was looking at a pocketable camera.

cmt

Soldato
OP
Also a lot of user reviews are mentioning that it can struggle in low light conditions without a lot manual intervention which would be a pain for me. Looks like the Ixus is still heading the field.

Back
Top Bottom