Windows - the last simple thing you found out

Soldato
What was the last, simple thing someone showed you in Windows that you didn't know about? Can be anything you like, from some kind of feature, to simply a different, quicker way of doing something.

For me, it was being shown that holding down the shift key whilst opening a folder, toggles between filenames being on or off in thumbnail view.

Found that out today :D

Associate
windows key + pause/break :)

and one not so simple

dos prompt:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

resest TCP/IP for windows XP, aparently you cannot reinstall TCP/IP for XP, but this resets it to how it was when xp was first installed. it helped get a PC back on the domain after some problems due to spyware removal.

Soldato
P_A_N_I_C said:
windows key + pause/break :)

and one not so simple

dos prompt:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

resest TCP/IP for windows XP, aparently you cannot reinstall TCP/IP for XP, but this resets it to how it was when xp was first installed. it helped get a PC back on the domain after some problems due to spyware removal.

Nice one mate, both new tricks to me. I was using the winsockxpfix.exe before.
[subscribes to thread]

Soldato
OP
Raymond Lin said:
all that does it open a crap load of folders ! lol
Heh, sorry. That happened to me first time too :p Maybe I should have said to make sure you have the folder highlighted first, then hold shift down, then open the folder.

Associate
Recommended way to terminate Explorer in XP (useful when installing/de-installing taskbar addons):

1) Select Turn Off Computer from Start Menu
2) Hold down SHIFT, CTRL and ALT together as you press the Cancel button in the resulting dialog

Prior to this I always used to kill it via task manager, which has its risks...

Note: to get it back:
CTRL-ALT-DEL to get task manager, File->New Task, type in Explorer.exe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom