Would you tell them?

Suspended
RIP. It would wreck their holiday if you told them but if you didnt you may regret it in the future. A hard one, sorry for not being of much help.

Associate
My deepest condolences to Gilly, Kaiowas and their families. :(

kitten_caboodle said:
There's no right or wrong answer here. When you speak to them you'll know what to do, and whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Once you've done it, it's done - don't dwell on whether you should have done it differently. You're dealing with something really horrible, and you have my thoughts with you while you're doing it.
Mat, you've probably already decided what you're going to do so I'm not going to add anything other than to agree with what Kitten said above.

RIP :(

Soldato
Oh man, I am really sorry to hear about this, RIP :( My granpa is turning 87 next month I don't even want to think how I would feel if something happens to him. :/

Take care man.

Man of Honour
OP
Had a good chat with my uncle. I'm going to tell them, but also tell them that all the arrangements have been made and that the funeral will be after they get back. Then it is up to them whether they want to cut short the holiday or not.

Thanks for all your kind comments and advice. I'm expecting them to be in touch very soon. They'll know as soon as possible :)

Also, what is the time over there right now? By my calculations it should be late morning?

Soldato
Gilly said:
Had a good chat with my uncle. I'm going to tell them, but also tell them that all the arrangements have been made and that the funeral will be after they get back. Then it is up to them whether they want to cut short the holiday or not.

Thanks for all your kind comments and advice. I'm expecting them to be in touch very soon. They'll know as soon as possible :)

Also, what is the time over there right now? By my calculations it should be late morning?
The time would be minus 5 hours from us, so around 12. :)

Very sorry for your loss mate. :(

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
First of all, my deepest condolences. I've only lost one grandparent but it was tough. I know how you must feel.

Although the decision has been made, I am in a very similar situation right now. Four weeks ago one of my best friends, after a six year battle with cancer, was given two weeks to live. I immediately told my parents (who live a lot of the time in America) who have known him from since we were kids, and my mother especially was terribly upset for at least two weeks after I broke the news to her. Just yesterday they flew back into the country but immediately left to see family and friends up North.

Approximately an hour and a half ago I received the news that my friend has passed away. There's no way I can let my parents know right now because I know how upset my mum will be and it will spoil their trip. I'm not sure what I'd have done in your situation though.

Anyway, it comes as something of a relief that my friend is no longer in pain so I don't know how I feel right now. It helps that I knew it was coming and that I got a chance to effectively say goodbye before it happened. I think I might go and sit in the sun and have a beer now, I'm sure it's what he would be doing if he was here. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Belmit said:
Anyway, it comes as something of a relief that my friend is no longer in pain so I don't know how I feel right now. It helps that I knew it was coming and that I got a chance to effectively say goodbye before it happened. I think I might go and sit in the sun and have a beer now, I'm sure it's what he would be doing if he was here. :)
Thats the way I'm looking at it. Not only does he no longer have to while away hours barely able to speak through loss of basic motor functions, but he's back with my Grandma. They were married for over 60 years and since she passed away he's never been the same.

One of the Doc's said he could help mend pretty much anything but a broken heart.

He never gave up though. A lot of people have told me things about people who have died soon after their long-term spouse. He was too much of a fighter for that.

I'm going for a drink with some friends tonight. He wouldn't want me sat around moping.

Soldato
Glad you sorted it out dude. Im srue your parents will appreciate you making the effort to let them know and helping with the arrangements.

Man of Honour
Gilly said:
Thats the way I'm looking at it. Not only does he no longer have to while away hours barely able to speak through loss of basic motor functions, but he's back with my Grandma. They were married for over 60 years and since she passed away he's never been the same.

One of the Doc's said he could help mend pretty much anything but a broken heart.

He never gave up though. A lot of people have told me things about people who have died soon after their long-term spouse. He was too much of a fighter for that.

I'm going for a drink with some friends tonight. He wouldn't want me sat around moping.

Ah mate. That post touched me. Wish I could come up and have a bevvy and a chat - but a happy chat. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Just got off the phone to them.

I've just had to tell my dad over the phone that his dad is dead, and that it happened the day they flew out on holiday.

I never want to have to do anything like that again.

Back
Top Bottom