520d E60

Associate
has anyone driven one of these?

Im looking for a new car and one of these is on the list; the auto m-sport costs less in tax than a 330d and I know that its not as much fun to hoon in the 520d seems like a logical step from my current car (607 2.2HDi).

I have some test drives arranged soon, but any comments or insights would be welcome.

Man of Honour
No but I have driven the same engine and gearbox combination in the 3 Series.

It's not bad, infact, for a 4 cylinder diesel, its very good - performance is suprisingly good for something thats 'only' a 2 litre with 163bhp on tap. However, it certainly isnt as smooth as the 6 cylinder engines. I did find the 6 speed box frustrating though, the ratios are too close for an engine of this type, and you quickly found yourself bouncing off the rev limiter without realising.

I would take a 525d instead - the 5 Series suits a Six more than it does a Four.

Man of Honour
jonarob said:
Is tax really that much of an issue when you're spending however much on a beemer?

It will be a company car so all it will be costing him is the monthly tax. He doesnt mean regular road tax.

Soldato
I test drove a new 530d, it had a really nice solid feeling interior handling was good. A little unexciting but a perfect car for my dad (why we test dove it)

Later that year I test drove a 320d for my self, fantastic far, lovely interior really good handling the only thing that stopped me buying it was that it was around £19k and just not fast enough.

I can imagine that the 2.0d will feel very sluggish in the 5 series

Went with a E270cdi for my dad and a audi for me in the end.

Take a look at the new E270 as i think it has a 3.2 in it now.

Soldato
I've drove an E60 520d and 530d loads of times :)

Found the 520d engine fine really obviously not a good as the 530d :cool: It's a nice easy drive coupled up with the auto 'box and is perky enough.

Don't even go near an e-class, compard to the e60's they don't have a patch on them :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the opinions, to be honest I thought that the 520d wold be very sluggish but its surprising to see how close the 3series and 5series are.

I started looking at the 525, but saw these figures on bmw.co.uk;
0-60 top speed mpg
BMW 520d auto 8.7 139 41
BMW 525d auto 8.3 141 36

Is the 525 really that much smoother, I started looking at these and was surprised to see the lack of differance between the two. The cost per month would be over £70 differant (245/318).

A debadged m-sport model would look good and have a good level of equipment, but Im thinking that the bodyit doesnt really go with a 2.0 derv auto.

Soldato
Paras said:
Yep i liked the E60 over the E-class also
£50k on a 270CDI what a shame :(

I can understand why your dad might like it though. Pretty sure it's an age thing as most of the directors (whose cars I'm driving :p) REALLY dislike the e60's. Many have even begged for their e-class' back! :eek:

Man of Honour
dilated said:
Thanks for the opinions, to be honest I thought that the 520d wold be very sluggish but its surprising to see how close the 3series and 5series are.

I started looking at the 525, but saw these figures on bmw.co.uk;
0-60 top speed mpg
BMW 520d auto 8.7 139 41
BMW 525d auto 8.3 141 36

Is the 525 really that much smoother, I started looking at these and was surprised to see the lack of differance between the two. The cost per month would be over £70 differant (245/318).

You'll have to drive one and see becuase at the end of the day only you can decide how much the extra refinement is worth to you :)

A debadged m-sport model would look good and have a good level of equipment, but Im thinking that the bodyit doesnt really go with a 2.0 derv auto.

You HAVE to get an M-Sport - IMHO the bodykit on the Sport pack is the thing thats really fixed the lines on the E60. It looks wrong as an SE, but strangely nice as a Sport.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
You HAVE to get an M-Sport - IMHO the bodykit on the Sport pack is the thing thats really fixed the lines on the E60. It looks wrong as an SE, but strangely nice as a Sport.

I agree that it looks 101% better but its also a little wrong, but not on the same scale as a 316 with m3 mirrors.

Man of Honour
dilated said:
I agree that it looks 101% better but its also a little wrong, but not on the same scale as a 316 with m3 mirrors.

No, I don't think it does. It's a genuine BMW model, its not as if you've tarted it up to make sure it looks like something it isnt - it'll look like an E60 Sport, becuase it is one.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I did find the 6 speed box frustrating though, the ratios are too close for an engine of this type, and you quickly found yourself bouncing off the rev limiter without realising.
Indeed. As I've said myself many times since getting mine, 6 gears is too many for a diesel and I wish the manufacturers would stop doing it.

The only excuse for a 6 speed diesel is DSG :)

Permabanned
Good cars, poverty spec (as in not even SE) come it at £24k new BMWRRP, and hit 62 quicker than their 2.2 6cyl petrol equivalent (520i).

As Fox says, 6spd box can be irritating, but its not so bad on the 520d as it weighs a good bit more then the E46 / E90 and suits it a tad better.

plump for the SE if you can, you can avoid the (what looks like) 14" wheels with rubber ring tyres!

Permabanned
Oh I wouldnt, I was just thinking from a cost perspective.

Dnt worry, i've not gone mad just yet!!! :p

EDIT: if the 525d 6Cyl is comparable to the 530d then yes, for refinement its worth doing. You can tell (i think) from inside the 520d that you are driving a diesel, this isnt the case in the 530d or probably 525d thanks to the extra 2 cylinders

Problem is, if you start looking at the 525d then you'll see the 530d and its comparable performance,..............before you know it you'll be buying the 540i slaying 535d!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm twin turbo diesel goodness!!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
Why would you chose SE over M Sport?

Does the sport have lowered "sports" suspension?
If it does, that would put me off for one thing. Personally I'd be more interested in a smoother ride than worrying with a pedestrian likes the look of my motor.

Permabanned
Yes, although only on the Saloon. All Tourings have Sport suspension for some reason.

The ride on the 18" and suspension isnt really an issue in a car as chunky and solid as the 5er, having said that, there is a NOTICEABLE difference between the 14" rubber ringed 4.4 suspension set up of the ES and SE spec.

Also, bodykit on the sport and M sport is a tad sexy

Back
Top Bottom