I need your Chav views?

Permabanned
I have a little fun modern art project on the go but in order to do this I need a rough idea of what things people consider as being 'Chav' based around the whole chav culture.

Things I am looking for, is

-language (extracts of words and examples of speech)
-Dresscode (I have in mind Devo)
-Attitude (important I will need this for character)
-Lifestyle
-music
etc

Since everyone here is from different parts of the UK then the overall view would be useful. I am aware of websites etc but I need RL working examples.

Cheers all.

Permabanned
Dress code

White cap, white trainers, dark socks OVER you trackie bottoms, and a trackie top!!

Ewwwwwwwwww

And / or anyone wearing Bling gold jewellery!

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Don't have chavs but do have "neds" and "sengas". All the same to be honest.

Buckfast,
Diamond white
fake gold sovereigns
burberry clothing
tracksuits tucked into white socks pulled halfway up the shin
Stupid modded cars (nova with HUGE spoiler on the back making it look like a shopping trolley – only not as fast)
“innit”
“pure mad wee radge”

Permabanned
OP
Bar said:
Don't have chavs but do have "neds" and "sengas". All the same to be honest.

Buckfast,
Diamond white
fake gold sovereigns
burberry clothing
tracksuits tucked into white socks pulled halfway up the shin
Stupid modded cars (nova with HUGE spoiler on the back making it look like a shopping trolley – only not as fast)
“innit”
“pure mad wee radge”
Thanks Bar, Can you explain the Pure mad we radge thing.

Soldato
-language (extracts of words and examples of speech)
'Oi mate got a light?' 'you starting!?' i'll knock you o't mate'

-Dresscode (I have in mind Devo)
burberry cap and a track suit

-Attitude (important I will need this for character)
complete ******, non aspirational, thinks that he's got everything in his crap job.

-Lifestyle
wakes up at 5am and goes to work at the building site, has 3 spliffs whilst working, comes home to his wife, who's probably called chantel, get's ****** and goes to bed a 1am

-music
whatever is in the top 10...

Bar

Bar

Soldato
"pure mad wee radge"

Difficult one to translate as its a west coast saying more than east coast. sure those from Glasgow will be able to give a better definition.

I understand it to mean someone who displays extravagnace in their behaviour - 10year olds drinking lots, carrying knives, slashing tyres.

Can have both a positive and negative connotations depending upon the context and tone.

Soldato
Chav - More front than Southend but less substance than a puff of smoke.
Caps worn on the back of the head at a "jaunty" angle.
Sportswear with HUGE logos.
Elizabeth Duke jewellery.
Spots.
Benson and Hedges.
Blue WKD or Eight Ace cider.
Shouting at strangers.
Bus stops and street corners.
Cowardice.

Associate
For women...

Hair scraped back into a high ponytail, with a whole tub of gel holding it in place against the scalp (or perhaps it's grease, never sure).

HUUUGE hooped earrings and those ridiculous looking clown pendant things.

At least 3 children in tow with names like Mercedes or Courtney

Said children's names being yelled at 100 decibels, followed by the words "Git 'ere nah, before I slaapp yer" Don't forget to punctuate that with several expletives.

For men...

Burberry cap with a white tracksuit

Shaved head, at least one earring, big thick chunky chain around the neck and usually more than one ring on their fingers.

Generally hear them yelling at poor unsuspecting passers-by "*** you lookin' at" "you wanna fight?" again, don't forget the expletives.

All chavs will constantly have a fag hanging out of their mouths or held between their fingers.

Associate
From where I come from most of them dress:

Language - Kinda like a black rapper.
Dresscode - Dark baseball cap, dark tracksuit top and bottoms, black Reebok trainers.
Attitude - Pushy, Loud, "Come n ave a go if ya fink you're ard nuff"
Lifestyle - Until they're old enough to drive like maniacs, hanging around the streets, usually outside a pub (or behind it) or bus stops.
Music - Rap, Hip Hop and Drum & Bass

Associate
Ugfka.jpg

Associate
Lesson 1: Borrowing A Tab

WITHIN MINUTES of arriving in Newcastle you will encounter the legendary Geordie hospitality, when a complete stranger approaches you with his right hand extended. "Lenz a tab," he’ll say.

You have made a pal, and he is suggesting you cement the friendship with the long-term loan of a cigarette. You, in turn, are obliged to lend him one.

This routine will happen every time you venture out in Newcastle. So if you don’t smoke, now’s a good time to start.

The ‘friendliest’ types are young lads wearing colourful sportswear and a "nippa" behind their ear, who sound as though they’re talking through their left nostril.

When he says "Lenz a tab," you will reply "nee bother, charver." He’ll be sure to look out for you in future.

He may have a female with him. She’ll also be wearing sportswear, dripping with gold-coloured jewellery. The fringe of her yellow hair will have been carefully sprayed over a coke tin until it’s twice the size of her head. She is known as a Kappa Slapper – or "me bewer."

In this case you will offer two cigarettes. And if you’re feeling particularly gregarious, add the words "bet she gans like the clappaz." Your wit will be noted.

Now that you understand this easy piece of etiquette, why not try it yourself?

Simply walk up to a stranger in a bar or on a bus, lean close to their face, and say the words:
"Lenz a tab."

Better still, try it on everyone you pass in the street – you’ll be surprised at the interesting situations this can lead to.

And you’ll know when you’ve met a true kindred spirit, when they reply "Ah was ganna ask yee."

----------------------

Lesson 2: Getting Drunk

THE TWIN vices of the Charver are drink and drugs – although the peeve1 is slightly harder to obtain than tack2. This is because charvers are too young to get into pubs, which means hanging around outside the offie until someone can be ‘persuaded’ to go in and buy their bottles.

So first of all, choose your shop and position yourself by the doorway, but out sight of the owner. If spotted you’ll have to nash3, because he’ll assume you’re on the chaw4.

You could be there for some time, so why not while away the hours with a bit hockling?
All charver’s hockle5 – it’s as natural as breathing.

It also enables them to find their friends, by simply following the trail of phlegm from the shop to the bus shelter, and back.
You should have a decent-sized pool at your feet before some dafty6 agrees to make your purchase.

Charvers have a varied palate, in that they’re not fussy what they drink. But most aim to get monged7 for less than three bar8; so it’s got to be cheap.

Fortunately, this market is well catered for. Many favour speccy9, a bottle of which will rip your wires out for a couple of bar. Similar tipples include White Lightning, Zodiac and Storm. The names hint at the damage they’ll inflict on your brain.

Wine is popular with the Bella10 Boys, who have seen the state of imbecility tramps manage to achieve, on a couple of bottles. Basically, any white wine with a name ending in ‘brusco’ is considered too nasty for general consumption, and is knocked out to alkies and charvers at around a quid a bottle. Double cush11.

You’ll need somewhere to do your drinking, and a bus shelter is just the job.

Once there, you can get ****** in comfort and style, ***-off passers-by and, if you’ve downed a second bottle speccy, **** youself; before heading home to your crib12.

-----

TRANSLATOR

1 PEEVE Alcoholic. Also, to drink: "I was proper peeved-up."
2 TACK Hashish, usually of a very poor quality
3 NASH To move swiftly: “He proper did a nash when me fatha came home”
4 CHAW To steal
5 HOCKLE Spit
6 DAFTY Thick or gullible person
7 MONGED Off one’s head
8 BAR An English pound: "Me fine was only fowty-bar."
9 SPECCY Spectrum cider, cheap and nasty
10 BELLA Bella Brusco, a vile white wine