• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is yonah socket compatable with merom?

Associate
I have just ordered me a laptop with a shiny new yonah resting within. The laptops cpu was customisable on ordering, which leads me to strongly believe that it will be socketed, not soldered onto the mobo. So, if it is socketed, will it be interchangable with merom in the future? I know there will be a 667 and an 800fsb version, and the 800fsb is a no chance. It would be nice to have the option of a performance boost and 64bits in a year or so, once 64bit vista has taken off.

Soldato
Early Merom chips are the same, but expect a refresh sometime next year, when intel release a new chipset for mobile. That refresh will change the socket.

So if you want to upgrade, its probably best to do so fairly soon after merom is release.

Back
Top Bottom