single malt scotch whisky

Soldato
well, to cut a long story short, its my uncles bday tommorow, and i need to get a nice bottle of single malt.

i dont drink whisky and have no idea what i am looking for, but will pop to tesco's later and buy a bottle.

so any suggestions. less than £20 and something nice. that i can buy in tesco's

Soldato
Laphroaig in my opinion is a bad choice if you don't know what type of Whisky a person likes. Glenmorangie is on special this week for just under £20, it's not bad as n all rounder.

Last edited:
Associate
spike's said:
well, to cut a long story short, its my uncles bday tommorow, and i need to get a nice bottle of single malt.

i dont drink whisky and have no idea what i am looking for, but will pop to tesco's later and buy a bottle.

so any suggestions. less than £20 and something nice. that i can buy in tesco's

My dear boy, your uncle will love you forever if you purchase him a bottle of "Isle Of Jura" 12 year old single malt. It's expressive; without being too 'earthy', in fact a really fine, unique scotch, which won't break the bank. It has a deep, deep colour - like a sunset seen in a different, warmer more temperate land, an initial taste of the fire of that sunset, which quickly, and mark me Sir, very quickly, gives way to an almost, but not quite, overwhelming taste that satisfies not only one's own soul.....

Ish really greash....http://www.isleofjura.com/newjura/index.htm

Set you back about £18 a bottle. Threshers do it - sorry mods if I've done a product placement there, but the boy's in need - and, it's unusual, little known and very, very good. You can't go wrong with 'ole Uncle. He'll rewrite the will in your favour.

edit: just seen you're already sussed. Good.

Soldato
wozzizname said:
Talisker is really nice.

It's a little extreme though if you don't know the person's taste in whisky, very peaty and a little blow-your-socks-off.

I received a bottle of Glen Grant from my folks for my Bday last week, and very nice it is too, smooth and mmmmmmmm.....

Tobermory is another nice smooth, standard (if you like) single malt, one of my favourites. Not too expensive down Tesco either I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom