965 or 975x

Associate
Hi Guys

I'm just wondering which chipset is going to be better for the new Conroes. Is it the 965 or the 975x? I've done some research, but some people say 965 others say 975x, but which is it? :confused:

Soldato
Apparently 975X is better, but 965 may provide more value for money by being almost as fast\overclockable for up to 45% less.

Associate
965 does not support pata. Have you seen the price of plextor sata dvd writers & no-one else makes them yet. :( Think thats a bit of a boob by intel as they are desperately trying to get the new southbridge modified.

Soldato
The older 975x chipset uses the ICH7R whilst the 965 uses ICH8.
Nobody/very few people have managed to get their hands on anything 965 based yet.
Considering the 965 chipset is the newer chipset and also designed for Conroe rather than with the case of the 975x where they are "shoe-horning" or Retro-Fitting a new CPU into an older chipset.

I can't help feeling the newer & cheaper 965's are going to be an awful lot better than people think they will.

Soldato
Jay_t said:
965 does not support pata. Have you seen the price of plextor sata dvd writers & no-one else makes them yet. :( Think thats a bit of a boob by intel as they are desperately trying to get the new southbridge modified.

Intel® Desktop Board DP965LT Features

Ten USB ports
Two IEEE-1394a interfaces: one back panel connector and one front-panel header
Four Serial ATA IDE interfaces
One Parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100/133 support
One diskette drive interface
One serial port
One parallel port

Caporegime
the southbridge, and therefore the 965 itself doesn't support pata, but third party controllers, much like we've had forever for extra pata ports then for sata when that came out, are used for the single pata slot. i think most of these chips are adding 2 sata and one pata port to the board. the main issue seems to be this new controller that intel has all but forced a company to produce doesn't seem to be recognised by windows install cd, so from a new install it shouldn't be able to boot and install windows. major ******* up(assuming the other word is banned :p ) by intel that has apparently only recently been noticed, not sure if new shipments of fixed pata controllers have been made/sent, if they have they are in very short supply and mobo makers have very little time to get them out for launch.

as for sata dvd writers, i'm sure i've read a couple manu's complain about compatibility, i think similar issues, windows is old, with a disk without the means to identify a dvd drive easily if its on sata then you can't install windows. i'm not sure if you can or can't install windows off a sata drive, that was ages ago i saw that.

also, i think msi had a sata dvd writer out for ages, but i don't know if i ever found it in the uk. i think ocuk had the same model but the pata version, came with 3 diff colour bezels. the uptake of sata dvd drives has been appalling. to a point at least intel with their power are forcing most companies to get them out there now, causes initial issues but hopefully in a few months they'll be loads of them out.

Back
Top Bottom