• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900GTX SLI

Associate
Hi All,

I've decided to buy a 2nd 7900GTX at the end of the month. Currently I have an XFX card which I bought from OcUK as there OEM version.

What I want to know is if I need to buy a 2nd XFX 7900GTX or any other branded 7900GTX. I ask as if I can buy any manufacturers board I'll just buy another OcUK OEM card and save £55 over the branded XFX version:)

Associate
As said you should be fine with two 7900GTXs from any manufacturer. I think the current batch of OcUK cards are XFX so you'll almost definitely get the same card as you already have. There's been loads of problems with recent 7900 cards though, so watch out...

Soldato
Just buy a reference one and oc it.. sli will work at the speed of the slowest card so if you have 1 stock oem and one XXXOMGXXX "I can't overclock myself" edition and sli them you'll wind up with 2 at the slower speed.

Probably best to get a speed match for the one you already have or clock it down then clock them up together if you get a slower one.

Soldato
matt100 said:
Just buy a reference one and oc it.. sli will work at the speed of the slowest card so if you have 1 stock oem and one XXXOMGXXX "I can't overclock myself" edition and sli them you'll wind up with 2 at the slower speed.

Probably best to get a speed match for the one you already have or clock it down then clock them up together if you get a slower one.

Thats partly correct, they will operate at the frequency of the card in the top slot.

When i had 2 7800s the BFG OC card was in the upper slot and the standard ocuk one was in the bottom slot. both operated at the overclocked BFG frequencies meaning the ocuk one was permaenantly clocked.

When i had 2 7900s i had a standard ocuk one in the top slot and a BFG one in the lower slot. Both operated a standard frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom