who's actually got a dell 2407 and what's your opinion on it?

Associate
i'm still confused by this banding and stuff cos people are saying the monitor is amazing and others are saying its been really bad.

would you recommend getting one if you wanted to play CS:Source? or is it only really for DVDs and desktop work and internet browsing?

Associate
benji182 said:
i'm still confused by this banding and stuff cos people are saying the monitor is amazing and others are saying its been really bad.

would you recommend getting one if you wanted to play CS:Source? or is it only really for DVDs and desktop work and internet browsing?
For CS, yes, buy it now!!! :D

If you have a decent gfx card, it is simply stunning and I couldn't go back to my CRT. A mate of mine was actually shocked at how amazing it looked! :p

However, with dvd-quality video I do get some pretty bad banding (apparently this is to be expected :confused: ) but it is better than my CRT in other ways... I do still watch video on my Dell over my CRT, despite the banding, but I can't say it looks brilliant. :(

Soldato
Another_Mook said:

If you have a decent gfx card, it is simply stunning and I couldn't go back to my CRT. A mate of mine was actually shocked at how amazing it looked! :p

However, with dvd-quality video I do get some pretty bad banding (apparently this is to be expected :confused: ) but it is better than my CRT in other ways... I do still watch video on my Dell over my CRT, despite the banding, but I can't say it looks brilliant. :(

Am I right in thinking that the type of connection used and monitor "profile" can assist in lessening the banding (when watching a dvd, either thru the pc or via componant etc)

Man of Honour
The infamous banding issue was identified as being caused by the Faroudja Video Processing unti which was part of the Genesis controller chip used in the 2407WFP. This processing was enabled in all preset modes (Desktop, Gaming and Mulitmedia) in the first A00 releases. Since then, Dell have disabled it, but only in Desktop preset. So if you want to minimise the banding if it's a problem to you, you would need to use the desktop preset

Associate
Got mine today, revision A02, ordered wednesday, bloody great. CSS is brilliant as is tv & videos. I just keep it in desktop mode.
If you haven't got one, all i can say is, GET ONE !!!!!!!

Associate
Another_Mook said:

Oma-Lan-DP said:
Got mine today, revision A02, ordered wednesday, bloody great. CSS is brilliant as is tv & videos. I just keep it in desktop mode.
If you haven't got one, all i can say is, GET ONE !!!!!!!

thanks both of you - i'll be getting me one asap when my tax rebate comes haha. atm my 17" CRT running at 1600*1200 is a bit old and dark, even with everything like gamma and brightness turned up its so dark still. just old tho i guess

Soldato
I've heard various reports that some of these units slope by as much as 8mm from one end of the screen to the other.

Anyone here noticed their screen on an angle from the base ?

Associate
BubbySoup said:
I've heard various reports that some of these units slope by as much as 8mm from one end of the screen to the other.

Now that you mention it, I did notice that my monitor does lean a little to the right...not much mind, and I don't notice when I'm using it, only when I stand back from the desk I can see it not lining up right...

Soldato
Baddass said:
The infamous banding issue was identified as being caused by the Faroudja Video Processing unti which was part of the Genesis controller chip used in the 2407WFP. This processing was enabled in all preset modes (Desktop, Gaming and Mulitmedia) in the first A00 releases. Since then, Dell have disabled it, but only in Desktop preset. So if you want to minimise the banding if it's a problem to you, you would need to use the desktop preset

Thank you baddass I thought you would follow on quickly behind me with a better / more detailed description

Permabanned
Argh, I found a dead pixel on my 2407... apparently you need 6 for them to replace it.. :(

Maybe I should request an exchange for the A02 from dell? do you think its worth it? how quick are dell at replacements?

currently have the A01 and can see some banding although im not sure if what im seeing on websites is due to the monitor or quality of the images usied on the websites.

Associate
Another_Mook said:
benji182 said:

what GFX card do you need to power this size monitor and what quality/settings you have it on?

i don't know about TFT's but i know on a CRT you can change resolution to suit your gaming style but can you change the res on a TFT or it have to be the same in game as on your desktop?

Associate
BubbySoup said:

yep mine slopes to the right as well , but i have no dead pixels so i didn't want to rma it and risk getting a worse monitor back so i live with it

fuz

fuz

Associate
Mine is around 2mm lower on the right hand side. Shame the tilt can't lock sideways as well as up or down. No complaints so far though, A02 revision, minimal banding (not that it would bother me anyway) and gaming at 1920x1200 is better than I could've ever imagined it to be :D

Associate
i'll tell you about my 2407...
put it on my desk and realised just how big it is. also that my parents are probably going to kill me when i tell them it cost 2.5 week's work. look round the back, wonder what the hell the analogue cable is doing in it, pull that out straight away. notice the sticker on the back that says A01 and at that point my heart sunk, coz i wanted an A02. dunno why, bit silly.
plug it in to my computer, turn it all on, and marvel at the biggest, most widescreen POST i've ever seen
boot windows, change the res and load up my pre-downloaded 1920*1200 wallpaper and marvel at its sharpness and brightness and then find one of those programs that displays fullscreen colour to spot dead pixels.
Found about a dozen of them, but they all went away when i used a soft cloth to clean all the skank off the display from the packaging :D
6 days later, and i dont care that its not an A02, this thing beats all the other displays i've seen, mainly VX912/924 and last year's Xerox.
and for my first flat panel, i'm more than impressed. i prefer it to the £1200 toshiba HD 32" that dad bought (to watch tv on, though it does have to struggle with lazy standard def broadcast signals... poo)
shows no sign of doing anything that flat panels do. its sharp in films and games, there's no (to me anyway) form of ghosting/after image blur. out of the box settings has brightness at 50, i dropped it to 40 after playing oblivion for a bit and the dark places were a bit ... not very dark.... and now its good.

the OSD menu is a bit on the fiddly side too, mainly becuase the controls are on the side and you tend to rotate the display round as you press them so need to put a finger behind it to hold it steady.
its also really funky the way i can rotate the monitor (i keep the left side next to a wall), plug in my camera's flash card, and then download all the pics off it without using the card reader that sits on the floor near the rear usb ports.

and in all honesty, the only bad things i can think of to say about it are :
its too big for my desk
i can't fit my centre satellite (creative 5700 DTS (2002)) on top like i did with my old nec-mitsubishi 930sb
my parents are going to tear me more than just a new bumhole when i tell them how much it cost (even if i tell them the ex vat price)
it doesn't raise higher than my satellite speakers, so i need to either raise the monitor off the desk on some books, or put the speakers behind the monitor (again, small desk for the lose)
the buttons for *** OSD are a little on the forceful side and will almost always make your monitor rotate as you navigate the menu, which is a bit fiddley. i'd prefer menu up and down and then +/- buttons, which double as contrast and brightness up/down buttons. but looking at the dell's at work, its just the way they do it.
the monitor forgets the display/mode settings. not that i use them a lot, but it forgets them. doesn't bother me at the moment.

i dont think mine tilts like some are saying in here, but even if it does i haven't noticed it. although while some have said its brighter on one side than the other (dodgy backlighting or something) mine's absolutely spot on.

as far as i'm concerned, this is the most amazing purchase i've bought for my computer. better than upgradign from a Ti500 to a 6800GT, better than buying a raptor, better than a reserator, better than the 5700 DTS. its so good sometimes i want to cuddle it.
its that good.
:D

Soldato
I have the same question as benji182 to be honest. Seriously thinking about going for one of these but will my current 6800GT do it justice? Would playing a game in 1280 res on such a large screen ruin the experience? Haven't really tried BF2 at 1600 on my Iiyama 19" but the pc happily plays it at this res with all settings on high.

Would love to know if anyone is using this monitor with a similar specced system to mine in my sig below.

TIA

BA

Mud

Mud

Soldato
I'm using a 2405FPW on a 6800GT (4600+ X2, 1.5GB PC3200), so I can give you a pretty accurate idea. HL2 runs well native. Doom 3 and FEAR ran ok, but I tend to use 1280x800 whenever the system struggles...the screen scales very well, although noticeably less sharp (to an enthusiast). BF2 was run in 1280x800 to maximise framerate for online play. I recently upgraded from 3700+ to 4600+ and this has made a big difference in Prey, so perhaps I was heavily CPU bottlenecked.

Basically as long as you aren't CPU-bound you'll be ok, top settings are unlikely, but it won't be terrible. If you can set a lower directX mode then you'll get oodles more performance and can generally run games native (such as COD2). Depends on your eye-candy priorities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom