Sony M600i - Is it avaliable yet

Caporegime
Yes it been out for a few weeks sim free, dont know about contract phones if its out or not.

Is it better than the p990??, dont know they both are different phones i guess although they run on the same os UIQ3. Its still a nice phone but one thing it lacks for me is the built in WIFI which the p990i has...plus no 3g as well so i would say the p990i on paper looks to be a better phone imho.

Just wish they would release the p990 sometime soon:p

Soldato
Is it better than the P990i? That really depends on your needs.

Both run Symbian v9/UIQ 3.0, have 320x240 pixel touchscreens and are 3G. The m600i is much smaller than the P990 (15mm thick and almost certainly the smallest PDA phone around), but the P990i has WiFi and a 2MP camera.

If you don't need WiFi or a camera then I'd personally go for the m600i. With 3G and something like Web'n'Walk, there shouldn't be much need for WiFi anyway.

Associate
Got a M600i myself a few weeks ago now (lack of patience waiting for P990). Very impressed with it indeed - so much so that I am questioning my need for the P990i - the only added thing it really offers me is WiFi. (I'm not bothered about a camera), and I'm not sure how much use I'd really make of it even though I'd love to have it.

The M600i form factor is lovely - realy nice size and is really nice and slim. The QWERTY keypad takes a little getting used to, but works well. There aren't any hardware soft keys on the phone itself, but three options appear at the bottom of the screen which can easily be selected with your finger for one handed use. The scroll wheel and back button make one handed use very easy.

One of the guys over at My-Symbian has put together a very good review here.

Exchange Activesync push email works pretty well, although the BlackBerry Connect client is also now available but haven't heard any feedback yet.

It is available both SIM free and on contract deals, but not officially through the networks yet, although the big advantage there is that it is not polluted with their branding and whatever else they do to break it. I have heard talk of the official Voda version being available, but haven't seen it and AFAIK is will be farily heavily branded.

No doubt I'll end up with a P990 in the end - I know I won't be able to resist, although the place I preordered has just upped their price for it by £100 although my order status info still lists the original price I preordered at back in April. ;)

Associate
Been looking at the m600 hoping for a contract with a fair bit of data included in the monthly fee (for email and web) but it only appears to be available with talk+text...

If I was to go for an O2 talk + text contract, would it be possible to switch it for one with some data included of similar or greater value? Just seems stupid that a phone with email written all over it wouldn't be available on some kind of data contract...?

Associate
Reezer said:
Been looking at the m600 hoping for a contract with a fair bit of data included in the monthly fee (for email and web) but it only appears to be available with talk+text...

If I was to go for an O2 talk + text contract, would it be possible to switch it for one with some data included of similar or greater value? Just seems stupid that a phone with email written all over it wouldn't be available on some kind of data contract...?
I think you should be able to add a data package to pretty much any O2 plan.

Back
Top Bottom