Can't get ADSL modem to work with wireless router?

Soldato
I have a Kcorp 575 wireless router and a Dlink DSL 300T ADSL modem. When i connect the modem straight into my PC i get a connection, but when i put the ethernet cable through either the WLAN or normal RJ45 ports on the wireless router, i get nothing. Any ideas?

Associate
Ethernet from the modem to the routers WAN port should work. Try it: turn everything off (router, modem and pc) first turn on modem (wait for a minute), then turn on the router (wait for a minute), then turn on the pc. See if that works.

Also, you need to set your router to get its address via dhcp from the modem, and that its lan side of the network is on a different address range, or things could get messy

Jim

Soldato
I had similar experience and was solved by tolien yesterday. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17597084

Set first adsl modem to 192.168.1.1 and wireless router to 192.168.1.2

Just disable DHCP, NAT etc on wireless router. Keep DHCP enabled on adsl modem router. Connect the LAN port on the ADSL router to a LAN port on the wireless router (Do not use internet port!).

ADSL router will give out ip to computers via wireless router. You should have internet connection by now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
GREAT! That did the trick.

Only problem is i have a few ports open now on ShieldsUp! namely RPC, Net BIOS and MSFTDS. I'm positive my router at least stealthed them. I turned NAT back on and i'm still getting a connection, but any ideas why those ports are now back open. I don't really want a software firewall, but may just have to run Windows Firewall to get those things stealthed again.

Soldato
Kaiju said:
GREAT! That did the trick.

Only problem is i have a few ports open now on ShieldsUp! namely RPC, Net BIOS and MSFTDS. I'm positive my router at least stealthed them. I turned NAT back on and i'm still getting a connection, but any ideas why those ports are now back open. I don't really want a software firewall, but may just have to run Windows Firewall to get those things stealthed again.
Which router did you open ports?

Keep NAT, firewall etc enabled on adsl router and turn off anything on wireless router because adsl router is taking care of all security.

Also I was told that you cannot have NAT enabled on both router at the same time otherwise you will have some problems.

Anyway, I am not expert on this, best to ask someone who knows more about this.

Soldato
OP
But i don't have an ADSL router, i have a ADSL modem and wireless router. I am having problems with the Dlink ADSL modem now, it keeps disconnecting, but the included ADSL USB modem by Speedtouch doesn't when testing. I think i got duped into a faulty ADSL modem on eBay. Bah!

Back
Top Bottom